Jun 5, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
This game started at 12:40 p.m. local time at Seattle’s Safeco Field. A full five hours and 42 minutes later, it finally reached a conclusion.
The score was tied 0-0 until the top of the 14th inning, when the White Sox rallied for five runs against Mariners relievers Hector Noesi and Danny Farquhar. Seattle marched back in the bottom of that frame, though, plugging away with four singles and setting up this heroic (and historic) game-tying grand slam from third baseman Kyle Seager:
But baseball is baseball and the White Sox plated two runs in the 16th inning to win it for good.
Seager, 25, has an .827 OPS in 58 games this year and he’s on pace for 22 homers, 49 doubles and 76 RBI.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)