Jun 5, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Molina caught all 14 innings of Tuesday’s 7-6 loss to the Diamondbacks, so he was probably going to rest this evening anyway. Tony Cruz will get the start in his place and utilityman Ty Wigginton will serve as the Cardinals’ emergency backup behind the plate.
Yadi was handed the one-game suspension on Monday after making contact with two umpires following a close call at first base in Sunday’s loss to the Giants. Molina claimed after that game that he was upset with himself for not executing and not with the first base umpire’s call (which was a correct call), but fighting a one-game sentence is sort of pointless.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)