Alex Rodriguez releases a statement about the Biogenesis stuff

Jun 6, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP

Alex Rodriguez was one of several players implicated in the ongoing Biogenesis investigation by Major League Baseball. He released a statement through a publicist today which reveals that he is not exactly pleased with the specifics of the investigation being leaked to ESPN by Major League Baseball for its report on Tuesday evening:

“Myself and others are being mentioned in a media report before the process is even concluded.  I would hope this thing would follow the guidelines of our Basic Agreement.  I will monitor the situation and comment when appropriate. As I have said previously, I am working out every day to get back on the field and help the Yankees win a championship.  I am down here doing my job and working hard and will continue to do so until I’m back playing.”

A-Rod is referring to the terms of the the Joint Drug Agreement which require all parties involved to maintain the confidentiality of all drug investigations. Whoever from MLB leaked the information about the league’s investigation to ESPN violated the confidentiality required. But as I noted the other night, MLB is not really good at learning from history.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Okay, you lost me at “A-Rod makes a pretty good point.”

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

(Decided to put my hand over that first sentence and only read the rest. That seems to work.)

When things get “leaked” like this in sports, I usually always assume the party doing the leaking (Note to self: There’s got to be a better way to say that) is doing so to gauge the public’s reaction. If it goes over well (or fairly well) they often proceed. If they catch a lot of flack, they alter their plans. This may or may not be happening here, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

• nofunleague - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Try revealing.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Alex, keep on working bro, we need you up here.
      We got your back!

• zacksdad - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM

And it looks like all the PED doctors have his butt. Now if all the models have his digits, he would be very happy.

• sabatimus - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Nice to know the delusionals have him covered.

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I thought A-Rod making a good point involved removing the syringe from the package.

• sabatimus - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Well, no denials anyway.

2. alang3131982 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I’m pretty ignorant of the way these agreements work, but could the players then sue Major League baseball for this leak? Basically, what are the ramifications for MLB or an employee of MLB breaking a legally binded agreement?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’m sure there are penalties written into the CBA, but good luck finding the source of the leak. Press shield laws would prevent ESPN/SI from having to release the source, and no one is dumb enough to lose their job over outing him/herself.

• jwbiii - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

There are no penalties for disclosing information in the JDA.

The Confidentiality section is on pages 19-20.

3. dondada10 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Hal Steinbrenner just released a statement saying he’s disappointed in A-Rod’s statement.

• pisano - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yeah, and most Yankee fans are disappointed with Alex’s performance, when he was on the field.

4. sdelmonte - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Part of me – the part that prizes “narrative,” so be warned – would love to see A-Rod come back strong, challenge or delay any suspensions, and win the World Series single handed. Just because it would be such a great story.

• cur68 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I can’t friggin STAND Alex Rodriguez. He’s an arrogant, snotty, self-important dork. BUT he is NOT History’s Greatest Monster. He’s not even Baseball’s Greatest Monster. He’s not even the Greatest Baseball Monster Of His Day. He’s not even The 10th Worst Guy Playing Ball In MLB Today. He’s just a dork. AND he plays for The Empire, too. I can’t stand them either. Buncha Dorks.

Thing is, all this jumping up and down on the guy without any regard for due process is beyond morally sketchy. Its a blatant witch-hunt on the part of guys like Lupica, Munson and their ilk. I may not like ARod, but I don’t much care for all this “I’m-So-Outraged! Burn-The-Which!” bullshit either.

So yeah. I hope he does come back, beat all this Biogenisis bullshit, and have a GREAT half season. I want The Empire to miss the playoffs, but I want to see ARod hitting .345 with 30 homers, and GG 3B defence by the end of the season, too.

Now I must go and wash myself and the computer in bleach. I can’t believe I just wrote another pro-ARod comment and I feel dirty. Jeez.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Whew! I sure am glad A-Rod deflects from Jhonny Peralta. Don’t ruin that for me, will ya?

• cur68 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Dang Jhonny Peralta! Dang him to HECK!

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Oh, come on. There’s blubber in it for you.

“Past a diving Yunel Escobar!” he he Radio announcers are funny.

• anxovies - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You’re the person who calls ARod, “History’s Greatest Monster!” I couldn’t remember who said it (other than Homer) but I confess I have used it myself on other baseball sites. OK, I’m a plagiarist, but it is apropos and funny and I have never let little things like ethics stand between me and a good laugh.

• sabatimus - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Which witch is which?

• nofunleague - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

A Rhoid is a class A jerk. He admitted using before and now he is using again. Fry his A$$

5. neoshweaty - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Wait, this is innocent until proven guilty?????

*puts away pitch fork and torch*

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Can I borrow the pitch fork?

• neoshweaty - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Of course! I can’t stop ya from getting into the action.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Good deal. Now to find my straw hat and walkin skins.

• zacksdad - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Or in Braun’s case not guilty by reason of technicality.

6. jxegh - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Exactly what an attorney would say!

By the way, my son is a second year law student at University of St. Thomas in Minnesota. I used to hate losing arguments to him, even when I knew i was right!

• tanzkommandant - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Your son is no longer a practicing attorney. Everyone knows this.

• rocketsteadman - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Well played

7. deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

His statement should have been:

“LEAVE A-ROD ALONE!!!”

• nofunleague - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

His statement should have been, Yes, you caught me again, and I will be retiring. I will never play well again anyway and the Yankees are tired of my attitude. It’s been fun. Thank you. Today, I don’t feel like the luckiest man in the world

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

His statement should’ve been “This is between a man and his buttocks!”

8. pappageorgio - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I would like to point out some hypocrisy here……A-Rod’s camp complains that about thing being leaked to the press with no proof.

Yet……some story is leaked to the press this morning (about 2 hours ahead of an official statement no less) that Bosch came to A-rod for money (which there is also no proof of).

The media is a fickle business. For the last two days it’s been MLB talking to the press……and so they’ve written pro-league stories about how they’re going to hang A-Rod from the green monster by his testicals. Starting late yesterday it seems A-Rods camp started speaking with the media…..so we are seeing more stories taking an A-Rod side of the story.

It used to be that the media was there to report the truth and that was what mattered the most. Those days are long gone….today’s media (sports and otherwise) is about ratings and page clicks. In order to get more clicks you need more stories with more information. This makes the media as about as loyal and honest as a hungry dog……it’s going to be nice to whomever has food in its hand.

So……whomever leaks the most information gets the most nice stories written about them, because those writers want more sources. Write negative stories and sources stop talking. This also means that it’s hard to fault MLB for leaking information…..because otherwise, in this court of public opinion, only one side gets it’s side of the story out there and has all the writers on its side (because nothing pisses a writer off more than not taking to them).

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

There’s zero hypocrisy here. For one, the former is specifically governed in the CBA, to let the whole process work out before any announcements are made. The latter is just a camp protecting itself. Also, don’t forget that someone hinted to the NYP that Arod was trying to buy the incriminating documents from the clinic. So this latest salvo wasn’t the first shot.

110% agree on the media thing. I remember back when there were stories and then editorials. Seems like everything is someone’s “opinion” now.

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Has anyone pointed out the humor in the statement “A-Rod is complaining of leakage again”?

9. randygnyc - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

What AROD really means regarding his hopes that MLB adheres to the CBA is that they’ll on suspend with a failed test. Has little to do with confidentiality, IMO.

10. stoutfiles - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM

” I will monitor the situation and comment when appropriate.”

I will only admit guilt when I have no other alternative. Then I will apologize, say I didn’t understand what I was taking, say I did it a long time ago, and promise to never do it again.

• joebone - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Followed by the sad trombone.

11. historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The Centaur is displeased. Rrrrr. (frowny face)

12. anxovies - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

“Myself and others are being mentioned in a media report?” You would think that somebody worth upwards of a quarter billion dollars could afford a publicist with more than a passing familiarity with the English language.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

They really should float these things past us first. We’re pretty good at finding spelling and grammar errors, and they can get immediate feedback from our BS meter. We’d make an excellent baseball focus group.

• mckludge - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

That’s just how narcissists write. “Myself” is a bigger word than “I,” so the focus remains on the narcissist longer. When they speak off the cuff, they say “I,” but usually turn it into a few syllables or hold the sound for half a second.

13. luvmnsports2012 - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Good way to defer the obvious…fricken juice head!!!

14. cozboogie - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

The fish rots from the head down. With that in mind, if there is a true desire to “clean-up” baseball then let’s start with cleaning house in the commissioner’s office. I get the impression that MLB just wants to give the appearance of self-policing itself. And we all know that the wolf shouldn’t guard the flock. Get rid of Bud and his buddies and bring in some fresh management (Bob Costas anyone) that has an eye towards restoring the game. Why not implement a “biological passport” system (as pro cycling has) that documents and follows certain blood values for players on a regular basis. Any deviation of values could be reason for additional testing.

But I guess MLB really isn’t interested in cleaning up their sport.

15. linji45thgen - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Not exactly a screaming denial by Mr. Rodriguez. He won’t let himself get caught denying a second time; this time he’ll hide behind the process the whole way and have his lawyers fight the suspension.

16. fightingduck78 - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Someone please tell me how any of this mindless psychobabble translates into any kind of answer? Is it a response? Sort of. Is it deflection? Absolutely. The bottom line is, anytime someone says, “I’m not really thinking about that right now, I’m just taking it one day at a time, I’m just worried about playing ball again, I’m working hard on getting back onto the field (and shedding that horribly bad light I put on myself by sharing a bed with a geriatric Madonna), and I’m really really interested in this whole story (or maybe I just heard about this story when everyone else did on CNN),” it translates into “I did it, I have no proof that I did not, and I hope I can buy time for this to blow over.” What people are looking for is honesty. If he did it, he’d be much better off by just saying he did it. If he didn’t…well, he did. Otherwise his statement would say “I have been guilty of this in the past, but I was NOT involved in this and here is how my name was probably associated with Biogenesis.”

• fightingduck78 - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

And what’s with the article’s header? Is the word “stuff” meant to be a funny play on laziness, or did the person who wrote it just fly into JFK from Heathrow after being up for 48 hours straight?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

No, he wouldn’t. See what happened when he confessed after the ’03 leak came out, and the difference with Ortiz. Also look at the case of Mark McGwire who has continued to see his HoF support drop each year.

• kehnn13 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

That comment probably came while he was thinking about Jason Giambi or Andy Pettite, who were both forgiven pretty promptly after they admitted and apologized.. The problem here is that Alex Rodriguez is pretty much universally disliked.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The problem here is that Alex Rodriguez is pretty much universally disliked.

Pretty much, people hate him for a number of reasons. The PED accusations are just the cherry on top.

17. onbucky96 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

T.J. Quinn, please reveal your source. You’ve just help violate the Joint Basic Agreement.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3232)