And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Jun 6, 2013, 6:57 AM EST

Carlos Gonzalez

Rockies 12, Reds 4: The Colorado Wrecking Crew: Carlos Gonzalez hit three home runs and drove in six. Troy Tulowitzki hit two of his own. Pedro Villarreal had no idea what hit him.

White Sox 7, Mariners 5: You figure if you score five runs in the top of an extra inning that you’re gonna win that extra inning game. The White Sox did that in the top of the 14th inning of this one, but then immediately coughed up that five run lead in the bottom half, thanks to a Kyle Seager grand slam and an Endy Chavez RBI single of Addison Reed. Robin Ventura stuck with Reed for some reason after that, however. Well, probably for the reason of “who the hell else are we gonna pitch in a 16-inning game?” It paid off as Reed settled down in the 15th and 16th and the Sox pulled it out in the end. Whew.

Blue Jays 4, Giants 0: The Giants couldn’t do Dickey against R.A. Dickey. The knuckler tossed eight and a third two-hit shutout innings. He also doubled in the Jays’ first run of the game. I think that if a pitcher has what turns out to be the game-winning RBI and gets the win that we should call it a “Baseball Bugs.”

Rays 3, Tigers 0: Started watching this one, got bored, then decided to switch to that Liberace movie, “Beyond the Candelabra.” Rob Lowe’s drugged out, plastic surgery addicted plastic surgeon should have his own spinoff. It was LITERALLY the BEST performance I have EVER seen. Oh, Alex Cobb pitched seven and two-thirds of shuout ball. Doug Fister matched him into the ninth but then ran out of gas as the Rays put up three in the ninth.

Braves 5, Pirates 0: Julio Teheran was four outs from a no-hitter before Brandon Inge — who should be summarily suspended by Bud Selig for 100 games and his contract voided — broke it up. Still, eight shutout innings with 11 strikeouts for the Braves’ breakout pitcher of 2013.

Mets 10, Nationals 1: Marlon Byrd had two homers and three RBI, Anthony Recker had three RBI of his own and Dillon Gee pitched seven solid. The Nats — this and many other writers’ pick in the NL East and as the best team in baseball back in March — stink on ice.

Phillies 6, Marlins 1: And because the Nats stink on ice, they have allowed the Phillies to slide into second place. Philly brings their record to 30-30 — their first time at .500 since they were 6-6 — thanks in part to finally scoring Cole Hamels some runs. Their ace struck out 11 and won his first game in a dog’s age. Ryan Howard hit a triple. You don’t see that every day. You do seem to see Domonic Brown hitting home runs every day, however. He hit his 10th in 12 games and leads the NL with 18 overall.

Athletics 6, Brewers 1: Guess the A’s decided that they just weren’t going to lose anymore. Neat trick if you can pull it off. Bartolo Colon is 7-2 with a 3.14 ERA and he’s only walked six guys in 77.1 innings. He turned 40 two weeks ago.

Rangers 3, Red Sox 2: A day after the Red Sox got 13 extra base hits and scored 17 runs, five Rangers pitchers combined to limit them to two runs on five hits. Alexi Ogando came back off the DL for the start and was solid. The Rangers have the best record in the AL and their best record through 58 games in franchise history.

Cubs 8, Angels 6: Two homers for Mark Trumbo, including one to tie it in the eighth and force extras, but he can’t do it alone. A three-run double for Anthony Rizzo in the tenth was enough to put Chicago over.

Royals 4, Twins 1: Three runs in the first and a nice combo performance by Jeremy Guthrie and four relievers help the Royals snap their 11-game home losing streak.

Diamondbacks 10, Cardinals 3: Paul Goldschmidt is a friggin’ beast. He hit his second grand slam in five days and ups his season line to .336/.417/.608 and is on pace for 36 homers and 146 RBI. Arizona has won four of five. It was the first time the Cards lost back-to-back games since the end of April.

Astros 11, Orioles 7: Houston launches six homers and wins its seventh game in its last eight. Jason CastroCarlos Pena and J.D. Martinez had two-run homers, Jose AltuveMatt Dominguez and Marwin Gonzalez had solo shots. I hope the three slackers in the lineup who didn’t go yard have to pay fines in kangaroo court today or something.

Padres 6, Dodgers 2: Jason Marquis‘ deal with the devil continues as he takes a no-hitter into the sixth and notches his seventh win of the year. My daughter will be thrilled. Marquis tied up the Rangers in the first major league game she ever went to last season and now she thinks he’s really good. Maybe this is all about one child’s willingness to believe or some hokey crap like that. [music swells].

108 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM

And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

A post from the future…..wow!

Just messing with ya, you had a long day yesterday. Plus I have done worse on a blog (not here, my day job)

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Nice catch.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Now Craig corrected it.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Yea, too bad I never catch my own typos!

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Yes. A long day of stirring up the masses by maintaining echo chambers for anonymous assholes.

It’s not really the news that drives this website, but the over the top bullshit reactions from posters who seem to be junior high schoolers on summer vacation.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Is it summer yet?

By the by, I had the best/worst locker combination in high school…. 1,2,3, pull.

Thanks for bringing back the memory!

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM

As I alluded too earlier, I have a day job. That day job involves SEO. Trust me – the “annonymous assholes” you refer to are gold.

In showbiz they say there is no such thing as bad publicity as long as they spell your name right. In blogging, there is no such thing as a bad reply, unless code was inserted to hack your site

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

@heyblue….yea…you really set yourself up for an off color joke….but I am not going there. na-ga-da

• sportsdrenched - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I’ll got to the well of great philosphers as to how you should handle this situation, Motley Crue: “Don’t go away mad, just go away” If you don’t like it here.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You’ve got a right to be mad: the Dodgers suck!

• nbjays - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

“A post from the future…..wow!”

Somehow I just KNEW that Craig drove a DeLorean.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You can’t get a DeLorean in the basement. /smh

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Yeah you can. Just widen the coal chute.

2. kcrobert10 - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Go royals go. Been on vacation down at the lake for a few week but so have my royals. Brutal month just brutal.

3. natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Apparently, Robin Ventura didn’t stay for the 16th, he was on a plane to Chicago.

As Haren got lit up, smoke from the massive fire hung over Nats Park. Oh–it was a different fire.

Meanwhile, Espinosa-less baseball seems about the same as Espinosa baseball. Rizzo is running out of minor-leaguers to call up.

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Ventura is quickly going from mediocre to awful. Even Little League managers won’t leave a pitcher in the game after four straight hits.

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

A great game by RA Dickey. He had only given up a single and a walk in 8 innings. He gave up a single and a walk in the 9th, so mighty Casey finished off the Giants with a routine double play. The RBI double by Dickey was a thing of beauty. He faked a bunt and slapped the ball past a hard charging Panda into the left field corner. Dickey had 2 base hits during inter league play. The other was an infield single against Atlanta.

• cur68 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

We finally see the guy we were expecting. RA was in control of that game, start to finish. He’s changing speeds with the KB now, something he hadn’t tried to do before. What’s more his fastball is ticking in there at about 82, 83 mph with some late movement. The Giants spent the whole game out in front, missing, or swinging carefully at pitches they should have been clobbering. Nothing worse than a few long fly outs to Rasmus.

Let us not forget one Jose Bautista. A single and he stole 2 bags and came in to score. He’d been in a bit a slump on this West Coast Trip so it was nice to see him get out there, make some adjustments and then put it to them once he finally reached base. Keep in mind, that’s stealing bags on Buster Posey, too. That is NOT easy.

A nod to Mark DeRosa, eh? Without Brett Lawrie’s erratic bat, the Beaver Boys finally have a productive 3B/utility player. And this one doesn’t lose his shit every five minutes. What’s more, he doesn’t drop balls hit right at him, either. For ONCE a critical error didn’t cost them the game.

A much needed day off, 2nd this week, and its the Texas Rangers for roughly a zillion games starting Friday.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Let us also not forget the jays are 9 games below .500 and 10 1/2 games out of first. In otherwords your season is over so lets get back to reality, speaking of reality the rangers are going to give the jays a reality CHECK

• cur68 - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Hi ‘harry. I KNEW I smelled something. Still aint bathed yet, eh? Sheesh.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

As Lawrie’s ankle is not going to heal any time soon, We might see a lot more games with Encarnacion at third and Lind at first. Lind is hot and showed that he could hit a lefty yesterday. I would not be surprised if Rajai Davis got into some games as the DH.

• cur68 - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

So stick DeRosa at 2nd, where he doesn’t drop baseballs all the time, E5 at third (I shudder at the thought and lord knows I love me some E5!) and Lind at 1st. Izturis has SS till Reyes gets back (soon, please Dog!) and Davis (or Gose, or Bone Face, or ‘Saki San) can DH/OF/pinch run, eh? Could work. Only one cement-handed infielder there vs 2 or 3.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

No reason to fear the Rangers. They have cooled out lately and have only won 5 out of their last 10. They also lost Mitch Moreland yesterday. Moreland had been a very hot hitter.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yea RA sure knows how to beat the Giants, sorry to tell him he wont be going up against them anymore times this season. RA would make a fine NL pitcher but i hate to tell him he is in the AL BEAST and well we seen how thats worked out for him so far

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Nice that the mouse realizes that the Jays won 3 out of 4 against the defending World Series champions and that Dickey won 2 of those games. The only Jays loss in the 4 games with the champion Giants was by a 2 to 1 score.

• Shayna - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Anyone else bothered by the failure to pinch-run for Johnson in that 2-1 loss? I know it’s stale beer now and that he was pitching a good game but I was growling at my TV when Gibbons let him run the bases. He’d already got us into the middle innings, it was looking like a game that wasn’t going to have a lot of runs, and I think the natural move for an NL manager would have been to send in someone with some speed and a better sense of base-running. Instead, Gibbons leaves him in and voila! We’re out of the inning, wasting two men on base in a sparse-hitting game. Sigh.

• spellingcops - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I think someone in the Blue Jays’ organization plugged dirtyharry’s mom or something. I have no idea which team he roots for, just which one he hates. Quite sad, really.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Um proudly…LOOK AT THE STANDINGS!!! Your team is done with, they havent even posted a winning record in any month so far!!! It doesnt matter if they beat the 1961 Yankees 4 out of 5, its all over except for the screaming and the crying and the firings that are about to take place

5. indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM

The Rays-Tigers reminded me of the Posnanski quote–baseball is boring, and then suddenly, it isn’t. Although, I definitely was not bored watching Cobb and Fister match each other practically pitch for pitch. The game had the cslm before the storm, reaching a feverish pitch in the 7th, and a denouement in the 9th. It was an imperfect perfect game to me. To watch Cobb tame that ferocious line-up was perfect. The Tigers are great, but human after all.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Alex Cobb – Tiger Tamer.

You know who could have made a difference in that game? Inge 2.0, that’s who. Avisail Garcia collected a single and then erased himself with a CS. I bet Inge 2.0 could have improved upon that performance.

More Cowbell, and More Don Kelly!

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Trolling is unsightly in a gentleman.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM

If you see one let me know and I will troll him.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Unk Mo tends to be a bit more Mailer and a bit less Mencken, dontcha know.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Cobb is the Tiger Whisperer. Who says gingers have no souls?

Funny you mention Inge. A Michigan transplant co-worker of mine longingly said the name Inge.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Well played – subtle – still I can’t help but notice no one assailed your gentlewomanliness.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

If s/he said it longingly, Burgie, s/he isn’t a transplant — s/he was kicked out! We don’t want no stinking Inge-lovers!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Maybe not, but you also don’t need no stinking Inge 2.0 haters.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

What? The Rays want Kelly? Hot dog!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Now you’re just hearing what you want to hear and saying what I want to eat.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The Michigan transplant was a young, strapping male. Alas, if he was only as smart as he is cute. Sweet kid, though.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Tigers version: The pitching was great but it was otherwise kinda boring — except for the two weird double plays. PF had one unassisted, in leisurely napping cat in the den style, but Avila’s play was a fun little chase-down-the-dude-who-tried-to-run-home-and-then-turn-and-get-the-idjit-who-ran-to-third-with-three-players-around-it-anyway. The Pig Hunter was still unhappy. Miggy walked twice and didn’t go boom. Then we crapped out in the 9th. Grrrr!

BTW, two of the top 10 pitching prospects and the #1 projected catcher are from the Frying Pan. We will see how that plays out today in the draft.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Out of the frying pan and into the fire of the MLB draft. I wish them well and a decent signing bonus.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I read a couple of places that the kid Gray might go first because of trepidations over Appel’s signing bonus, Adderall notwithstanding. Also read a lot of good things about the high school catcher from Canadian County.

Who’s the second pitcher? That kid from Ok St who had TJ?

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

No, he’s a kid from ORU. Homely as hell, but apparently has good control.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Fortunately, as Clay Bucholz proves, pitchers can still be successful while looking like something that crawls out from under a wharf 1/2 an hour before starts.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Still, I hope he gets lots of money.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I put the mlb.com top 100 on grid view to see if I could pick out your face – second choice was money.

Yeah, geez, he looks a little like an extremely full and hungover Glen Perkins.

• kalinedrive - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM

The Avila unassisted double play reminded me of the 2009 ALCS, when Mike Napoli ran Jorge Posada back to third and tagged out both Posada and Cano, both standing well off the base, and Tim McClelland called one of them safe, for no apparent reason. One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I like my version better.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Of course you do. It’s veiled by a haze of rum. (And, as I recall, you were drinking early.) Speaking of which, OG will probably need you to update your Indametrics.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I actually just had a small amount of whisky on the rocks. No rum. Shaking things up a bit.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I’m pretty sure you were licking it off of some bread pudding.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I wouldn’t waste my tongue on bread pudding.

Our little tropical storm allowed me to come home early from work. I’m watching the game like a spoiled child.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Well, I’m jealous you get to watch His Heterochromianess at work during the day (please be drinking — for me), but sorry about the storm. :(

Someday, we will have a little wager. If I win, you have to eat BP and if you win, I’ll drink rum…and I’ll REALLY hope Miggy goes boom then.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

That hardly seems a fair! Rum is the nectar of the baseball gods, and bread pudding is the dessert choice of a misguided Midwesterner.

We’ll see if Fausto or Roberto shows up to see if I drink water or rum.

The worst of the storm seems to have passed. Tampa Bay got lucky once again.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Are you sure you lived in Iowa?

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Yep. Only briefly as an 18 year old escaping an oppressive matriarchy.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Random ;)

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Damn Don Kelly!

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Scherzer though. Sheesh. He looks locked in today.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I have a bread pudding recipe using Bailey’s Irish Cream, brown sugar, honey and nutmeg that would drive poor Indy into altered states her Sunday school teacher warned would punch her ticket to the lowest rungs of hell. And it comes with a recommendation to half-melt a scoop of homemade Bailey’s ice cream over it, with which to bribe the gatekeeper.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Sounds divine corrupting. Wonderful

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Psst. I am listening to the game at work on the internets radio….like a man. :P

6. dondada10 - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Seems like there were great games all over the place last night. Glad to see R.A. pitching well.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

BTW, in last night’s game they gave this stat: The Rays lead MLB with the most stolen bases and they are followed by the Mets. I’m just sure I can annoy people with this by saying it proves SB’s don’t matter. :)

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

More likely, it means that the Rays are good on the basepaths but that the Mutts’ opponents don’t give a vole’s patootie if the Mutts move someone into scoring position.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

What Gator said. The Rays offense this year has been potent. The D ranks 3rd in the AL in runs scored at 295. The Rays rank 5th, at 286. If we can get our pitching to where it is capable… to where they have proven they can perform. If Hellickson and Price can revert to anywhere near their mean, watch out. The bullpen has already shown signs of normalizing. I feel dizzy thinking about the possibility.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM

V-Mart!

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

S’ok, just 2-0. Nice Miggy K.

V-mart has a history of hitting Fausto well. This is nomal for Fausto. First time through the line-up, he’s pretty good. Second time, forget it. Batting avg against him goes up to over .300. He needs to be moved to long relief. He’s good for 3 innings.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

The gametrax is freaking me out with that smiling Pig Hunter pic. Freaking Me Out!!!!

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ha! Objectively speaking, he’s actually quite handsome in person. It’s his ideas that make him hideously ugly.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

No, I’m pretty sure its wolverine chops.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I like the chops, actually. More men should co-opt the look.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ack! You’re not right.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Es muy macho. :-)

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Bleh. I prefer a full beard or twirly mustache, m’self. I’m also not fond of the face borders. Dumb.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM

To each their own. Vive la difference. At least we won’t be fighting over the same boys.

7. Liam - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

The win expectancy graph for the M’s-White Sox game is incredible.

8. rockthered1286 - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM

6 bombs for the Stros… Ouch. Sweaty Freddie’s previous start seems to be more of an anomaly than anything. Not that I expect him to suddenly “find himself” again.

9. greymares - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Yo Nats fans do you feel that breeze that was Philly blowing by.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Shhhh, not yet. There’s too much baseball left to be played. Keep the good secret a secret. The local media still think they should sell out, along with many others nationally.

Keep it that way.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I don’t know – it is nice, but a big part of me still hates the fact 2nd place is an “accomplishment”.

That said – raise your hand if you thought the Philles would be in 2nd place with team going 4-16 in games started by Cole Hamels and Roy Halladay!

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It’s a step. Now they *have* to own June given the schedule.

• misterj167 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Second place yes but still the biggest distance between first and second in any division. The Braves are a good team no doubt but it doesn’t hurt that the Nats aren’t the only team in that division that stinks on ice. And the Phillies are overperforming.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The Phillies are not over perfoming. Jonathan Pettibone, sure, and I would agree that Dom Borwn will not end up leading the league in HR, but DL stints for Utley and Ruiz, 2-11 in starts by Cole Hamels, plenty of guys hitting below .250. Who exactly is over performing?

• misterj167 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Brown has really been the only positive things for the Phils this year. If they finish .500 I would be very surprised. Age and injuries and no bench will kill you every time.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

They are .500 now, and I think you are tactitly conceding they are not overperforming. Or if you think they are – then again, who is overpeforming other then Pettibone and Brown?

• misterj167 - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

OK since you’re going to be like this, allow me to re-phrase my statement:

I think the Phillies are playing much much better than I expected them to play and I’m surprised they’d be anywhere near .500 at this point in the season, never mind them being there at or near the end. So to me they’re overperforming.

Let me further add that I think they’re old, injury-prone, have no bench and not much in the minors, and players they can’t even trade for prospects because of money and the ridiculous lengths they gave those contracts. They’re going to be a bad team for a long time.

Better?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Be “like” what? I wasn’t upset at anything you said, and I don’t think I said anything to get you upset….relax, bro.

So if you didn’t expect them to be near .500, and they are a combined 4-16 in starts by 2 of their tops 3 starters…then perhpas you underestimated them ;) ‘Cause from where I stand, PLENTY has gone wrong so far

• nbjays - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Are you kidding? Anyone who would believe that would also believe the Yankees would be carried to the top of the Al East by Lyle Overbay and Vernon Wells…. oh, wait…

10. stex52 - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Six home runs? What alternate Astros universe am I living in? Obviously one in which the Crawford Boxes figure prominently, but it still is encouraging. I still have to point out that their record is worse this year to date than it was last year. But maybe some of the kids are finding a place on the team. Hope springs eternal.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Just enjoy today. There are no promises for tomorrow.

• stex52 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Good point philiac. I’m hearing from the local press that the Astros are leaning to 3rd base for #1 right now. But it may be a deception ploy.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

At this point the Feesh astronomers at the Coral Ridge observatory are having to resort to more and more pure mathematics and less and less expensive equipment (as if Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua were about to approve a budget that included a Gilbert 10X telescope in the first place) to determine if there’s still any gravitational attraction between the Astros and the Feesh. That weird binary star effect, whereby the Feesh and Astros once appeared to have been orbiting each other, could never be reconciled by the Feesh statisticians’ Royal McBee computer, not even when they successfully used a leaf blower to clear it of roach husks. It now appears to have been an optical illusion of some sort, perhaps akin to the break in the visual plane of a trotline entering pondwater. I guess we’ll never know, will we?

We now have to turn our attention to the possibility of spooky action at a distance between the Feesh’s current Pork Chop Hill season and the record of the 1962 Mutts. The Feesh now stand at 16-44 whereas at 60 games into the 1962 season the Mutts’ record was…16-44! The Mutts had to lose both ends of a doubleheader to the Cubs that day (June 17) in order to keep pace with the Feesh. Pardon the teleological viewpoint here – a little bit of what Nietzsche famously called a chronologische umdrehung. We’ll be watching carefully over the next few days to see if we can establish whether or not the Feesh are, after all, as well umdrehung as the ’62 Mutts.

• stex52 - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

The symmetry-breaker between the Astros and Feesh is – in my opinion – that whatever their level of competence Astros’ management has the intention of building a competitive team. I would assign no such motivations to Loria’s crew. And whether this truly breaks the strange attraction will require a bit more observation. I think the pitching staff still hangs by a thread. And they may still trade Norris. But maybe-just maybe- a third year of #1 draft choices is not in the works. Suits me fine.

11. sdelmonte - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

All nine starters for the Mets, even Dillon Gee, had hits. And Marlon Byrd is now 10 for 18 lifetime against Haren. Nice to have a laugher once in a while. And glad that of late, the Mets rotation (not counting 4A pitcher Collin McHugh’s emergency start) looks pretty solid.

Too bad we can’t bank some of the runs.

12. stex52 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I will be very interested in the Astros’ #1 draft choice today. Will it be:

1. The local boy pitcher they left at the altar last year because he wanted too much money?
    2. The power pitcher who will negotiate but suddenly is revealed to use Adderall?
    3. The stud West Coast 3rd baseman who is represented by Boras?
    4. The East Coast 3rd baseman who is not quite as good but will negotiate?

Decisions, decisions. It will be interesting to see.

13. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Draft time again? Hey this is PC’s time of the year!! I mean by this time he realizes the jays ain’t making the playoffs again so he has this dream that the jays are going to get much better thru the draft but we always see how that ends up dont we? Rios? Snyder?

14. Jack Marshall - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The box score doesn’t show that the umpiring in the Sox-Rangers game was beyond atrocious. There was another clearly mistaken call at second base, where Stephen Drew was safe on a lead-off double but called out. the balls and strikes were absurd. A bad checked swing call on what should have been a third strike cued the winning rally—the Red Sox got a home run because Pedroia had clearly walked, the umpire called the pitch a strike, and Pedey hist the next pitch for a cheap Fenway homer. One called strike was so far off “the Pitch Zone” graphic that Dennis Eckersley said, “I’d be embarrassed to accept that one.”

When the umpiring is this incompetent, whatever the game outcome is comes down to random chance.

15. kvanhorn87 - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Phillies future is murky at best. We can agree on your past headline. However, the nationals as best team in MLB are now in 3rd place. Dom Brown is the future. Hopefully the ninja finds a way to blow this up and build around him quickly. Where did all those Nats fans go? To think, sitting Strasburg last year was a good thing bc they would be a championship contender every year for next decade. God I love baseball.

• misterj167 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Well the Phillies had their glory years, no doubt, but it’s going to be a while before they’re competitive again. Whether the Nats have blown their opportunity to win a championship remains to be seen. meanwhile the Braves just keep rolling along, since 1991 they have only played under .500 twice, and with their young talent they could continue that trend for the next decade or so. Whether that translates into WS championships also remains to be seen.

16. mungman69 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The Phillies are ahead of the Nats?

17. APBA Guy - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The A’s day game was not televised locally, in keeping with the A’s status as a small market team. However, judging from the box score and the game recaps, it looks as though El Capitan Colon was not bothered by the MLB linkage of him and Tony Bosch. It also looks like his various fastball types were doing the same to the Brewers as they have done to other teams: eluding bats. So 2-1 for the A’s to start the road trip and on to face the White Sox, whom they swept last weekend in Oakland.

I did see a lot of the Giants/Toronto game-all the Giants games are televised-and this was vintage RA Dickey. The Giants hitters are really good at adjusting, so for RA to limit guys like Scutaro, Posey and the Panda to just 2 hits is beyond amazing.

One thing to note is in reference to a comment above about Bautista’s steals off Posey. Aside from the common “you steal off the pitcher” cautions, Posey’s CS% isn’t among the top this year (20%) nor was it last year (30%). The top guys like Yadi and Ryan Hanigan were at 48% in 2012, and this year’s leaders-AJ Ellis and Matt Wieters-are at 52%. I wouldn’t call it a flaw in Posey’s game, it’s just that the Giants philosophically aren’t as disposed to holding runners close as some teams.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I’d say the Tigers kind of share that philosophical bent. I wonder sometimes about how much energy it’s really worth. That said, Laird was terrible for us and his low CS rate did NOT help.

• spudchukar - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Occasionally stepping off, alternating time between pitches, and a throw or two isn’t wasting a lot of energy. Certainly some guys can get carried away, and lose concentration on the hitter, but a Big League pitcher can do both.

Simply rating catcher’s throwing by their CS % isn’t a particularly effective measurement. At least augment that stat with the number of attempts. Molina’s CS numbers have regressed a little in the past couple of years, not due to any fault of his. Seldom do teams attempt anymore, leaving only the best stealers, and best situations, which naturally drives down a catcher’s percentages. This could be happening to Posey too.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Really, I was thinking of the catcher there rather than the pitcher. You can get too concerned with watching the runner. On the flip-side, it’s a great way for runners to mess with pitchers.

18. deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

“Yankees 6, Indians 4: CC Sabathia went the distance after being staked to a 6-0 lead by the end of the second inning. I suppose this is what pitching to the score looks like?”

CC doesn’t like leads and just doesn’t believe it’s a credible outing unless he gives us 3-4 runs.

19. spudchukar - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Cards’ brass deserve a lot of credit for the success so far this year, so criticism is hard to justify. However that isn’t going to stop me.

What did Michael Blazek (Blaze-K), do in his three day call-up? Since he didn’t pitch, it is hard to believe performance has anything to do with him being currently ignored. Can’t complain about the job Keith Butler has done, but Mikael Cleto? If he cannot get AAA hitters out how can he expect to retire major leaguers. The move is puzzling.

Matheny has me confused on his recent use of Beltran. Since he has always been known to be a superior hitter left-handed, wouldn’t it be better served to rest vs. lefties? And sit Holliday. Twice in the past few days he has had a chance to do just that, and gone in the other direction. It has me scratching my head.

I know Holliday has a great track record and he needs ABs to right himself, but he has really floundered recently. Maybe a couple of days off would help. And Jon Jay, same goes for you. Taveras is a call-up waiting to happen.

Look for Descalso at SS today, slumping Kozma could use the rest, and Holliday too before the upcoming series in Cincinnati.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5165)
  2. M. Kemp (3564)
  3. J. Upton (2853)
  4. J. Kang (2839)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2737)
  1. C. McGehee (2736)