Bryce Harper to have knee examined by Dr. James Andrews

Jun 6, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT

Bryce Harper Getty Getty Images

Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has an update on Bryce Harper‘s injury status, reporting that the Nationals outfielder has yet to resume baseball activities as he recovers from left knee bursitis (and crashing into the wall at Dodger Stadium).

That means he definitely won’t be ready to come off the disabled list when eligible Tuesday and in fact Zuckerman reports that Harper will be examined Monday by Dr. James Andews. That news isn’t quite as grim as it is for pitchers, but obviously it’s also not good.

Harper won’t rejoin the Nationals without first going on a minor-league rehab assignment, but it seems silly to speculate about a timetable until after he gets looked at by Dr. Andrews.

1. heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

When ever I hear the name Dr. James Andrews, I hear a thunder bolt in the distance and a strong gust of wind blows from out of nowhere.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I hear the same thing happens whenever someone watches a Dane Cook movie.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

He thought he was going to be Captain America. The funniest thing he ever did was audition for the role. The director must have been in stitches.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

He read for Captain America? I didn’t know that. Gosh, that would have been horrible.

Ever seen the Kevin Costner movie Mr. Brooks? I won’t ruin it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but it’s the only watchable Dane Cook movie in existence.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

No, I was never his biggest fan to start with. But yeah, considering how well the franchise has started, I can’t imagine how bad of a disaster that would have been.

• cacheesehead1237 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Wait what? Dr. Andrews read for the Captain America role? Seriously? I didn’t know he acted. Must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

• raysfan1 - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

…and the startled whinny of panicking horses.

• natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Panic time was Monday, bringing up Rendon, etc. Now we just stand here and absorb the body blows.

-Detwiler
        -Strasburg
        -Ramos
        -RZ – still rehabbing his shoulder
        -Harper

I’m losing count.

Gonna be tough to get to that WS now, but faith, faith, faith.

• evanwins - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

But I thought the Nats were the deepest team in baseball??? That they couldn’t possibly be derailed because they were just that great? That Harper was some kind of baseball warrior demigod who would never stop playing hard (despite saying mere days after that tweet that he should have gone on the disabled list a month prior)???

World Series or Bust? Guess it’s gonna be the latter, huh?

• evanwins - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

@natslady:

you Nats fans are a riot. You’re quote:
        “Gonna be tough to get to that WS now, but faith, faith, faith.”

Like getting to the WS before was going to be some type of cake walk for them. It’s indicative of how you Nats fans think your team is soooo great that actually playing the games is just a formality. Odd as The Nats have done nothing to lead you to that type of confidence.

My team actually won a WS in the past 6 years and went to 2 and were in the postseason for 5 of the last 6 years so I know how hard it is and how much luck plays into it.

• natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

@evanwins–so you are saying don’t root for my team because they are unlucky? Or don’t root for them because they haven’t won a WS and been to the postseason 5 of 6 times? I don’t understand your post at all. Mike RIzzo built the best team he knew how. After that, the players have to play and the season has to go on. The time to have faith in your team is when things are NOT going well. Anyone can climb on the bandwagon. Enjoy yours.

• natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM

@evanwins, no the Nats were not the “deepest team in baseball.” They had a good (maybe the best) rotation, and good lineup. But they didn’t have depth, because pretty much everyone that could be promoted, except Rendon, had already been promoted. No one has propects or backups the quality of Stras or Harper waiting in their minor-league system unless they are in rebuild mode. The Yanks got very lucky that they knew about the injuries early on–and that some role players have overperformed.

2. natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Luckily, we don’t have to pray for rain. We got Andrea, lovely Andrea.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Nasty wench, that Andrea. Left us mighty wet in Tampa Bay. Be careful out there.

Just wanted to thank you for the Bryce in undies pic in that Bosch thread. Craig needs to just let us be the judge of that.

I am sincerely sorry to hear Dr. Andrews (The Undertaker) associated with Bryce. I hope everything is okay with the young’un’s knee. As a fan of the game, a talent like his is truly a joy to watch.

• natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

You’re welcome. I wanted to go back and have another glance, but there are too many Bosch threads…

3. natslady - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Oh, Danny, I forgot Danny. Apparently he’s getting the magic cortisone shot so he can “resume baseball activies.” In Harrisburg or Syracuse.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Sorry to hear this. Read Blues 1st post on this article. That’s pretty much where I am.

5. someguyinva - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This the same Dr. Andrews who may or may not have said that it was okay for RGIII to go back into that playoff game? Perhaps knees aren’t the man’s specialty…

6. yahmule - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Get better, Bryce.

7. TheNaturalMevs - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

ya, this guy’s hurt too much

Three legends off to Cooperstown