Derek Jeter to have follow-up exam on ankle next week

Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT

Derek Jeter Getty Getty Images

Derek Jeter recently resumed playing catch, but he has yet to be cleared to do any other baseball activities as he waits for the crack in his surgically-repaired left ankle to heal. That could change soon.

According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Jeter said today that he will fly to North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan on his ankle. The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him prior to his checkup, but any progress will have to wait.

“I have no news, none. Can’t do anything different till I see the doctor, so there’s absolutely no news from me,” Jeter said. “I wish, but I got nothing. I mean, I wish I could do more, but I can’t until I go to the doctor.”

Jeter has previously said that he has a timeline in mind for his return, but he isn’t willing to reveal it since he was unable to meet his goal the first time around. But the Yankees are hopeful to have him back at some point during the second half.

Yankees shortstops have combined to bat just .215/.286/.290 this season. Only four teams have a lower OPS at the position.

1. slartibartfast4242 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him

Hey, that would mean he’s all ready to play shortstop!!!

2. clownsfan - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM

He’s done. Everybody knows it but him.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

…said every incorrect person every spring training for the last 5 years.

• tuberippin - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Sure, if you don’t count the fact that this time he’s trying to return from a major leg injury to play shortstop, whereas previously it was “Jeter’s done” comments based primarily on the guy’s age.

• dan1111 - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM

People come back from broken bone injuries all the time. They take an annoyingly long time to heal, but they are pretty low-risk compared to other injuries: once the bone is healed, you’re basically back to normal.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

that’s what Minka said too, you see what he got to replace her?

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I would take him in the role of platoon DH at this point. Just smack some hits against lefties while Hafner sits on the bench. It would be a huge upgrade from the Francisco/Wells tandem we have seen so far.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I wonder if any of the nurses at the doctor’s office got a gift basket?

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS