Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Derek Jeter recently resumed playing catch, but he has yet to be cleared to do any other baseball activities as he waits for the crack in his surgically-repaired left ankle to heal. That could change soon.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Jeter said today that he will fly to North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan on his ankle. The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him prior to his checkup, but any progress will have to wait.
“I have no news, none. Can’t do anything different till I see the doctor, so there’s absolutely no news from me,” Jeter said. “I wish, but I got nothing. I mean, I wish I could do more, but I can’t until I go to the doctor.”
Jeter has previously said that he has a timeline in mind for his return, but he isn’t willing to reveal it since he was unable to meet his goal the first time around. But the Yankees are hopeful to have him back at some point during the second half.
Yankees shortstops have combined to bat just .215/.286/.290 this season. Only four teams have a lower OPS at the position.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)