Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Derek Jeter recently resumed playing catch, but he has yet to be cleared to do any other baseball activities as he waits for the crack in his surgically-repaired left ankle to heal. That could change soon.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Jeter said today that he will fly to North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan on his ankle. The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him prior to his checkup, but any progress will have to wait.
“I have no news, none. Can’t do anything different till I see the doctor, so there’s absolutely no news from me,” Jeter said. “I wish, but I got nothing. I mean, I wish I could do more, but I can’t until I go to the doctor.”
Jeter has previously said that he has a timeline in mind for his return, but he isn’t willing to reveal it since he was unable to meet his goal the first time around. But the Yankees are hopeful to have him back at some point during the second half.
Yankees shortstops have combined to bat just .215/.286/.290 this season. Only four teams have a lower OPS at the position.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)