Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Derek Jeter recently resumed playing catch, but he has yet to be cleared to do any other baseball activities as he waits for the crack in his surgically-repaired left ankle to heal. That could change soon.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Jeter said today that he will fly to North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan on his ankle. The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him prior to his checkup, but any progress will have to wait.
“I have no news, none. Can’t do anything different till I see the doctor, so there’s absolutely no news from me,” Jeter said. “I wish, but I got nothing. I mean, I wish I could do more, but I can’t until I go to the doctor.”
Jeter has previously said that he has a timeline in mind for his return, but he isn’t willing to reveal it since he was unable to meet his goal the first time around. But the Yankees are hopeful to have him back at some point during the second half.
Yankees shortstops have combined to bat just .215/.286/.290 this season. Only four teams have a lower OPS at the position.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)