Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Derek Jeter recently resumed playing catch, but he has yet to be cleared to do any other baseball activities as he waits for the crack in his surgically-repaired left ankle to heal. That could change soon.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Jeter said today that he will fly to North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan on his ankle. The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him prior to his checkup, but any progress will have to wait.
“I have no news, none. Can’t do anything different till I see the doctor, so there’s absolutely no news from me,” Jeter said. “I wish, but I got nothing. I mean, I wish I could do more, but I can’t until I go to the doctor.”
Jeter has previously said that he has a timeline in mind for his return, but he isn’t willing to reveal it since he was unable to meet his goal the first time around. But the Yankees are hopeful to have him back at some point during the second half.
Yankees shortstops have combined to bat just .215/.286/.290 this season. Only four teams have a lower OPS at the position.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)