Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Derek Jeter recently resumed playing catch, but he has yet to be cleared to do any other baseball activities as he waits for the crack in his surgically-repaired left ankle to heal. That could change soon.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Jeter said today that he will fly to North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan on his ankle. The 38-year-old was originally hoping to field ground balls hit directly at him prior to his checkup, but any progress will have to wait.
“I have no news, none. Can’t do anything different till I see the doctor, so there’s absolutely no news from me,” Jeter said. “I wish, but I got nothing. I mean, I wish I could do more, but I can’t until I go to the doctor.”
Jeter has previously said that he has a timeline in mind for his return, but he isn’t willing to reveal it since he was unable to meet his goal the first time around. But the Yankees are hopeful to have him back at some point during the second half.
Yankees shortstops have combined to bat just .215/.286/.290 this season. Only four teams have a lower OPS at the position.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)