Jun 6, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
Of course you might think a Braves fan is going to say that. Like I noted earlier, baseball fans are capable of some pretty amazing homerism and provincialism. But it’s not a Braves fan saying it this time. I don’t have any negative opinions of Dom Brown outside of his low walk total. As Bob Brookover of the Philly Inquirer reports, however, some are taking issue with the Phillies’ breakout star. Sure, the fans love him, but …
The response among baseball’s scouts and executives in attendance was a little different. Many of them did not like the way Brown flipped his bat, then took a turn so wide it looked as if he had entered a Jersey jughandle before making a left at first base. Equally disturbing to some is the leftfielder’s routine after he crosses home plate. He has a ritual handshake with teammate Ryan Howard when the Phillies’ cleanup hitter scores in front of him, and he also has a martial arts-type salute in which he puts his hands together.
Brookover goes on to quote a scout voicing his disapproval and some Marlins players saying that they won’t forget the display.
Bah. This is so much baloney. I mean, yes, it may very well get him a fastball in the ribs at some point, but this is a guy having the time of his life after years of frustrated promise. And he’s singlehandedly carrying this team back into contention. Plus, he doesn’t have any other karma about him from any past bad acts. Contrast this, say, with Yunel Escobar who (a) is already someone who has demonstrated knucklehead behavior in the past; and (b) does his showboating when his team is way behind in a game.
I suppose people’s mileage may vary, but I sorta feel like some slack ought to be cut here.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)