Jun 6, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
Of course you might think a Braves fan is going to say that. Like I noted earlier, baseball fans are capable of some pretty amazing homerism and provincialism. But it’s not a Braves fan saying it this time. I don’t have any negative opinions of Dom Brown outside of his low walk total. As Bob Brookover of the Philly Inquirer reports, however, some are taking issue with the Phillies’ breakout star. Sure, the fans love him, but …
The response among baseball’s scouts and executives in attendance was a little different. Many of them did not like the way Brown flipped his bat, then took a turn so wide it looked as if he had entered a Jersey jughandle before making a left at first base. Equally disturbing to some is the leftfielder’s routine after he crosses home plate. He has a ritual handshake with teammate Ryan Howard when the Phillies’ cleanup hitter scores in front of him, and he also has a martial arts-type salute in which he puts his hands together.
Brookover goes on to quote a scout voicing his disapproval and some Marlins players saying that they won’t forget the display.
Bah. This is so much baloney. I mean, yes, it may very well get him a fastball in the ribs at some point, but this is a guy having the time of his life after years of frustrated promise. And he’s singlehandedly carrying this team back into contention. Plus, he doesn’t have any other karma about him from any past bad acts. Contrast this, say, with Yunel Escobar who (a) is already someone who has demonstrated knucklehead behavior in the past; and (b) does his showboating when his team is way behind in a game.
I suppose people’s mileage may vary, but I sorta feel like some slack ought to be cut here.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)