Jason Collins is throwing out the first pitch at Fenway Park tonight

Jun 6, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT

NBA: Milwaukee Bucks at Boston Celtics

NBA player Jason Collins will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Rangers-Red Sox game tonight at Fenway Park, which is holding the first ever “Pride Night.”

The free agent center previously played in Boston for the Celtics and back in April the Red Sox’s official Twitter account tweeted words of support for Collins when he announced that he was gay.

Jerry Spar of WEEI.com notes that Collins and his college roommate, Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy III, are scheduled to march in the Boston Pride Parade this weekend.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

In related news, no team has yet to contact Amanda Bynes to throw out the ceremonial first pitcher for “Loco En La Cabeza” night.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Thank you to whomever banned/deleted the comments.

• randygnyc - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM

What was deleted? With the steroid news, we’ve seen a lot of PFT infiltration.

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Football is horrible.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

It’s a thread about a player who is gay, I’ll give you 3 guesses what some of the comments referenced.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I wish they’d have deleted my comment, too. I typed “pitcher” instead of “pitch.” Sigh.

• jm91rs - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Actually from what little I know of Amanda Bynes, I’d think she’d be up for throwing down the first pitcher of Margaritas. Girl likes to party.

3. j0esixpack - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Seems like bozosforall has finally gotten a clue and figured out that anti-gay slurs make him and like minded people look bad – not the ones they are trying to attack.

Seems like he’s been quiet as of late – but then again, the Lakers have been pretty quiet this season too

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Unfortunately, he’s a Yanks fan. Not exactly great news information for us.

4. number42is1 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! all the comments have changed….

5. espfdps - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

The mets should hire bynes for their P.R. Office immediately

6. tanzkommandant - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Why is he gay?

7. shanabartels - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Good on ya, Boston. I mean that sincerely. We all know that the Red Sox were the last team to integrate, but being the first team to host a Pride Night should score them some progressive karma points.

8. mntmn3 - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Looks like my Red Sox have lowered their “first pitch” requirements, such as they may be. Collins claim to fame is a 3.6 Points Per Game NBA average and the fact that he likes to sodomize his sexual partners.

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Dictionaries are your friend, mntmn3. You really ought to look up the word “sodomy” to see what it means.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I don’t necessarily agree with his post…but based upon the post it is clear he knows the definition of sodomy. Look it up.

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

“Anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex.” So it’s not like it’s somehow unique to gay people.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I didn’t say it was “unique” to gay people. I was only pointing out that he obviously knows the definition.

sod•om•y (ˈsɒd ə mi)

n.
        1. anal or oral copulation with a member of the same sex.
        2. enforced anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex.
        3. bestiality (def. 4).

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I am done with this one 18th. It’s a stupid, ignorant debate/argument/discussion anyway.
        Dude was being a holier than thou…bigoted jackass. I don’t want to be misunderstood as someone who is defending him.

/Waves White Flag

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Hugs all around.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Right Arm! I am out for this evening. Nighty Nite!

9. roverboy1949 - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Why are they “proud” to be gay? I will never understand it.

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Go ask. Let me know why they say.

• roverboy1949 - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I just don’t understand what there is to be proud of in someones sexual orientation. I don’t care if you’re gay or straight, but what is there to be proud about?

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

There are a million organizations out there that can answer the question for you far more compellingly than I can. Go call them. Don’t ask me.

• paperlions - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

They are proud to be who they are and refuse to hide who they are from bigots. Does that clear it up any?

• historiophiliac - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Good answer. The one that immediately lept to my mind was more hostile and wordy. Good work.

• sandwiches4ever - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

You could ask why someone is proud to be a particular ethnicity or nationality. There’s a ton of that going around.

The real answer comes in being a member of a marginalized group, and not being afraid of that fact.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

They’re proud because they are not living in shame or fear for their lives for simply loving who they love, like so many have had to for centuries (and continue to do so in many places around the world.) I can’t speak for all gay people, or any really–these are my gay sister’s words paraphrased. I’m proud of her for having the courage to be out. She’s one of the bravest people I know.

Good for Boston.

10. duckthefodgers - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I think it would be more appropriate if they have him catch the pitch.

11. rcali - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I wonder if MLB will let him throw out one of those pink stitched balls they used on mothers day? Ahh, come on, have a little fun everybody!

12. 1historian - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

sigh

13. blaze310 - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

They gave him a softball to throw the first pitch and came out to “its raining men”

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4025)