Jun 6, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Scratched from his scheduled weekend start with a shoulder injury, Jon Niese threw a 39-pitch bullpen session yesterday without any problems.
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Niese is hoping to avoid the disabled list and rejoin the Mets’ rotation Saturday against the Marlins, which would mean missing just one start with the injury.
Niese admitted to pitching through discomfort for multiple starts before finally being skipped, but told DiComo that even a few days of extra rest made “a night-and-day difference.”
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)