Jun 6, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Scratched from his scheduled weekend start with a shoulder injury, Jon Niese threw a 39-pitch bullpen session yesterday without any problems.
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Niese is hoping to avoid the disabled list and rejoin the Mets’ rotation Saturday against the Marlins, which would mean missing just one start with the injury.
Niese admitted to pitching through discomfort for multiple starts before finally being skipped, but told DiComo that even a few days of extra rest made “a night-and-day difference.”
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)