Marlon Byrd predicted his two home runs

Jun 6, 2013, 8:53 AM EST

New York Mets v Washington Nationals Getty Images

Marlon Byrd hit two home runs last night. He knew it was going to happen. From the New York Post:

“I was feeling good in B.P. and I was joking around with [Recker],” Byrd said. “I said, ‘Hey, if I get some pitches tonight, get some strikes, I’m going to hit two home runs tonight.’ I didn’t think it was going to happen.”

But Recker said Byrd’s prediction wasn’t a joke.

”He was dead serious,” Recker said. “And he did it. That’s amazing to me. He called it. You don’t see that very often.”

Only thing better would be if he promised them to a sick kid in a hospital. Like Paul O’Neill did that time.

1. mybrunoblog - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

It’s hard to hit home runs and where’d the heck ya get two from?

• silversun60 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

was the second one ruled a triple + an error?

2. josemartez - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Next game he has to catch a fly ball in his hat, then he’ll get Sandy Alderson’s framed birthday card back.

3. arrooo - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

He can’t catch a ball with his glove, let alone a hat

4. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This is a fun story, for sure, though if he hadn’t hit the two homers, we’d never have heard about it. I think this falls into the bin with all the guys who “knew” they were going to hit that clutch three pointer in a basketball game, and the guys who “knew” their team would come back from 5 runs down. When it doesn’t happen, you forget that you “knew” it, or predicted it, but when it happens, you’re all of a sudden some kind of magical sports psychic.

5. decimusprime - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Can you imagine how many ‘taters Paul would have to hit now? With the “boss” six feet under, that birthday card would be worth WAY more now…maybe 2 grand slams?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester