Michael Young batting leadoff tonight for the first time since 2004

Jun 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT

Michael Young AP AP

Phillies’ leadoff hitters are batting just .233 with a .283 on-base percentage this season, so manager Charlie Manuel is trying something different tonight against the Brewers.

Per CSNPhilly.com, Michael Young will bat leadoff tonight for the first time since 2004. The 36-year-old has made 242 starts out of the leadoff spot during his career, but all of them were during his first four full seasons in the big leagues.

Young only has 11 extra-base hits through 53 games this season, but he has been more patient than usual, walking at a rate of 11.6 percent while swinging just 41 percent of the time. He has a 6.7 percent walk rate for his career and has never topped 7.9 percent (2009) in a season. Who knows if he’ll keep it up, but the increased patience is welcome development given that he’s no longer driving the ball like he used to.

1. greymares - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

can’t hit into a double play 1st. at bat.

• beefytrout - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

This is my favorite comment ever.

2. tuberippin - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I hope this works, just because I’m highly concerned that if this fails, Ol’ Chollie will slot Michael Martinez or Slim Delmon into the leadoff spot for the fuck of it.

And before blasting such an idea, please remember that this is the same manager who let Brad Lidge be the closer for nearly the entire 2009 season despite posting arguably the worst season by a closer in baseball history (0-8, 7.21 ERA, 59 ERA+, 1.81 WHIP, 11 hits per 9 IP, 11 blown saves, 5 walks per 9 IP) while Ryan Madson was toiling in earlier innings for no good reason.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I’ll just blast it on the premise that…..Michael Martinez is in the minors.

As for Madson re:2009, if you count the 8th inning as an “earlier” inning, then I guess that is correct. But Madson did get several cracks at replacing Lidge that year – and he was horrific as a closer. As a cset-up man, he was lights out. As a close, he stunk. Which is not say that SOMETHING should have been done with Lidge, but you are applying 2011 Madson to 2009, which he most defintely was not

• tuberippin - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I don’t like Ryan Madson at all. Never really have, and I was surprised he thrived in 2011 in the closer’s role. That said, go revisit the 2009 Phillies bullpen. Who else would you put there? Scott Eyre? Brett Myers? Most of the other relievers were putrid. Madson might have been bad, but there is no way he could have or would have been worse in the 9th than Brad Lidge was that year. Lidge gave up 51 runs in 58 innings for fuck’s sakes.

And yes, being that the 8th comes before the 9th, I would qualify it as an earlier inning. He wasn’t strictly an 8th-inning guy then though; he pitched some 7th innings and some 9th when Manuel finally gave up on Lidge in September of that season.

And Michael Martinez is in the minors, you’re correct. I was more pointing towards Manuel using whatever shit bench-utility guy we have sitting on the 40-man roster than MM specifically, although MM sucks in his own right. Feel free to sub in whomever you’d like. Frandsen (actually might not be THAT awful), Cesar Hernandez, et al.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Oh I agree, like I said, SOMETHING should have done with Lidge. I wasn’t disagreeing with that. Probably needed to out side the org.

And hey, 1-0 with Michael Young leading off!

3. anthonyverna - Jun 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I guess it worked for one night (but we know we can’t judge anything on one baseball game, right?).

Orioles turn AL East on its head