Jun 6, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
As we noted over the weekend, those white and gray stars and stripes caps Major League Baseball plans to use on the Fourth of July are ugly. The ugliest among them, and the one that has drawn a lot of ire from folks around the Internet, however, was the Indians’ Chief Wahoo design. Which, by the way, was clearly shown on New Era’s page as the cap the Indians would be wearing on July 4.
Cork Gaines of Business Insider has learned, however, that the Indians will not be wearing the red, white and blue Wahoo. They’ll be wearing a red, white and blue Block C cap:
According to a source at Major League Baseball, New Era Caps released the wrong image, believing all teams would use their primary logo. Instead, the Indians will actually wear a cap with their block-C logo, seen at right.
UniWatch is highly dubious that it was a mistake. I am too. I think this is matter of the league and/or the cap company responding to the blowback occasioned by a racist character being draped in the stars and stripes. I mean, the last time MLB made a “mistake” and released a cap design that they never, ever, ever intended to actually be worn also involved a racist caricature cap.
Funny that they never do that with other teams who have alternate logos. The “confusion” only seems to happen when they piss off a lot of people by making offensive caps. Darndest thing, really.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)