Jun 6, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
As we noted over the weekend, those white and gray stars and stripes caps Major League Baseball plans to use on the Fourth of July are ugly. The ugliest among them, and the one that has drawn a lot of ire from folks around the Internet, however, was the Indians’ Chief Wahoo design. Which, by the way, was clearly shown on New Era’s page as the cap the Indians would be wearing on July 4.
Cork Gaines of Business Insider has learned, however, that the Indians will not be wearing the red, white and blue Wahoo. They’ll be wearing a red, white and blue Block C cap:
According to a source at Major League Baseball, New Era Caps released the wrong image, believing all teams would use their primary logo. Instead, the Indians will actually wear a cap with their block-C logo, seen at right.
UniWatch is highly dubious that it was a mistake. I am too. I think this is matter of the league and/or the cap company responding to the blowback occasioned by a racist character being draped in the stars and stripes. I mean, the last time MLB made a “mistake” and released a cap design that they never, ever, ever intended to actually be worn also involved a racist caricature cap.
Funny that they never do that with other teams who have alternate logos. The “confusion” only seems to happen when they piss off a lot of people by making offensive caps. Darndest thing, really.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 7
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 26
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)