Jun 6, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
As we noted over the weekend, those white and gray stars and stripes caps Major League Baseball plans to use on the Fourth of July are ugly. The ugliest among them, and the one that has drawn a lot of ire from folks around the Internet, however, was the Indians’ Chief Wahoo design. Which, by the way, was clearly shown on New Era’s page as the cap the Indians would be wearing on July 4.
Cork Gaines of Business Insider has learned, however, that the Indians will not be wearing the red, white and blue Wahoo. They’ll be wearing a red, white and blue Block C cap:
According to a source at Major League Baseball, New Era Caps released the wrong image, believing all teams would use their primary logo. Instead, the Indians will actually wear a cap with their block-C logo, seen at right.
UniWatch is highly dubious that it was a mistake. I am too. I think this is matter of the league and/or the cap company responding to the blowback occasioned by a racist character being draped in the stars and stripes. I mean, the last time MLB made a “mistake” and released a cap design that they never, ever, ever intended to actually be worn also involved a racist caricature cap.
Funny that they never do that with other teams who have alternate logos. The “confusion” only seems to happen when they piss off a lot of people by making offensive caps. Darndest thing, really.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)