Jun 6, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
With the draft less than six hours away the Astros’ choice with the No. 1 overall pick remains a mystery.
Jim Callis of Baseball America predicts they’ll take Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray, but Keith Law of ESPN.com has them taking Stanford right-hander Mark Appel in his final mock draft. Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has Houston selecting Gray, but also adds that they might go with North Carolina third baseman Colin Moran.
Gray, Appel, and San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant are the consensus top three talents in the draft, which is rare in that they’re all college players. Kohl Stewart is considered the top high school talent and the right-hander from Texas seems like a lock to go to the Twins at No. 4, assuming the top three guys are all off the board.
We’ll have pick-by-pick analysis of the first round tonight, so check back later.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)