Jun 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Texas placed Mitch Moreland on the disabled list after the first baseman left last night’s game with a strained hamstring.
Moreland is the only Ranger to play in each of the team’s 58 games, hitting .288 with 12 homers and an .899 OPS that’s more than a 100-point improvement on his career mark.
For today Lance Berkman is starting at first base and Jeff Baker is at designated hitter, but the Rangers have called up first baseman Chris McGuiness from Triple-A. Acquired from the Red Sox in 2010 as part of the Jarrod Saltalamacchia deal, McGuiness was selected by the Indians in the Rule 5 draft this winter and then returned to the Rangers during spring training.
He’s hit .275 with six homers and an .858 OPS in 55 career games at Triple-A and has the potential be a decent short-term fill-in for Moreland if given an extended chance at first base.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)