Jun 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Texas placed Mitch Moreland on the disabled list after the first baseman left last night’s game with a strained hamstring.
Moreland is the only Ranger to play in each of the team’s 58 games, hitting .288 with 12 homers and an .899 OPS that’s more than a 100-point improvement on his career mark.
For today Lance Berkman is starting at first base and Jeff Baker is at designated hitter, but the Rangers have called up first baseman Chris McGuiness from Triple-A. Acquired from the Red Sox in 2010 as part of the Jarrod Saltalamacchia deal, McGuiness was selected by the Indians in the Rule 5 draft this winter and then returned to the Rangers during spring training.
He’s hit .275 with six homers and an .858 OPS in 55 career games at Triple-A and has the potential be a decent short-term fill-in for Moreland if given an extended chance at first base.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)