There are players the Marlins won’t trade, apparently

Jun 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Steve Cishek AP

With the Marlins sitting at an MLB-worst 16-44 it’s only a matter of time before they start trading away veterans who generate any sort of trade interest, but they’ve repeatedly said that Giancarlo Stanton won’t be moved and apparently some other players aren’t on the block either.

At least according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, who reports that the Marlins “have told clubs that closer Steve Cishek and hard-throwing lefty Mike Dunn are not available.”

Why the Marlins would be unwilling to entertain offers on a pair of 27-year-old relief pitchers is unclear, which makes me think the right offer could snag either pitcher, but Frisaro does say that Opening Day starter Ricky Nolasco and setup man Ryan Webb are very much available.

I’d be shocked if Nolasco isn’t traded by July 31.

1. slickdemetrius - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Which begs the question, what did poor Giancarlo Stanton ever do to Loria to deserve such a cruel and unusual punishment?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

He committed the cardinal sin – he’s already good but still inexpensive. Doomed.

Also changing his name back didn’t help, Loria was probably willing to consider an extension for that guy Mike Stanton. Giancarlo? Not so much.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I don’t know if anyone’s been paying attention lately, but Ryan Web is vying with fellow boolpen inmate A J Ramos for the title of Walkoff King. Both have been serving up beachballs at an alarming rate lately. It may be mechanics.

Or it may be a cry for help.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

They could be using Morse Code like Johnny Got His Gun. Short-short-short. Long-long-long. Short-short-short.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

And no doubt they feel like the patient in Johnny Got His Gun too – with their nuts blown off on top of everything.

• southpaw2k - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Considering he’s only 23 but has already had several DL trips due to bad knees during his career to date, could the Marlins really expect a boatload of prospects in return for him?

Stanton has great potential, but I’d be pretty worried if I were a GM looking for a right-handed bat to add to my lineup and looked at his knees.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He’s out for a hamstring pull this time, not for his knees.

• joegolfer - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I think Stanton would bring a bundle in good prospects.
        That said, I don’t think he’ll get traded for the same reason others have mentioned: He is still young, and his salary is still low.

2. specialkindofstupid - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Own a night club no one wants to go to? Put a bouncer out front and tell people they can’t go inside. Want to trade Mike Dunn? Tell teams he’s untouchable. Other GMs will fall over themselves trying to snag him.

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Dammit, he’s right.

I’m not pleased to be agreeing so thoroughly with someone with your user name.

• indaburg - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I love his user name.

3. rocketsteadman - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to read an article about the Marlins front office without shaking my head and chuckling to myself.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Move to Macondo. Within a couple of months you won’t be able to read the same article without throwing up.

4. Kevin Gillman - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Nolasco would be a perfect fit for the Indians. Please make the deal Chris Antonelli.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I think Nolasco would love to go anywhere else at this point, even Cleveland. I think the guy is praying to get out. I suspect, meanwhile, that the Iron Giant, in his quiet moments, has contemplated defecting to Cuba.

5. ndnut - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM

So he isnt moving to PITTSBURGH! PITTSBURGH!
    #42movie