Jun 6, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Will Middlebrooks began a minor-league rehab assignment last night at Triple-A, but manager John Farrell indicated that the third baseman may not automatically return to the Red Sox once he’s recovered from a back injury.
Griffin Tewksbury of WEEI.com has all of Farrell’s quotes, including:
This is not only a chance to make sure his health issue is behind him, which everything points to that being the case, but also to use this as an opportunity to get some momentum going before he gets back. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before the injury and fill-in Jose Iglesias has hit .426, but based on how well Middlebrooks played as a rookie last year and how poorly Iglesias has hit throughout his minor-league career making the swap full time would be very surprising.
Middlebrooks went 2-for-3 with a homer last night, but at the very least the Red Sox apparently won’t be in any hurry to activate him from the disabled list.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)