Jun 6, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Will Middlebrooks began a minor-league rehab assignment last night at Triple-A, but manager John Farrell indicated that the third baseman may not automatically return to the Red Sox once he’s recovered from a back injury.
Griffin Tewksbury of WEEI.com has all of Farrell’s quotes, including:
This is not only a chance to make sure his health issue is behind him, which everything points to that being the case, but also to use this as an opportunity to get some momentum going before he gets back. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before the injury and fill-in Jose Iglesias has hit .426, but based on how well Middlebrooks played as a rookie last year and how poorly Iglesias has hit throughout his minor-league career making the swap full time would be very surprising.
Middlebrooks went 2-for-3 with a homer last night, but at the very least the Red Sox apparently won’t be in any hurry to activate him from the disabled list.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17