Jun 6, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Will Middlebrooks began a minor-league rehab assignment last night at Triple-A, but manager John Farrell indicated that the third baseman may not automatically return to the Red Sox once he’s recovered from a back injury.
Griffin Tewksbury of WEEI.com has all of Farrell’s quotes, including:
This is not only a chance to make sure his health issue is behind him, which everything points to that being the case, but also to use this as an opportunity to get some momentum going before he gets back. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before the injury and fill-in Jose Iglesias has hit .426, but based on how well Middlebrooks played as a rookie last year and how poorly Iglesias has hit throughout his minor-league career making the swap full time would be very surprising.
Middlebrooks went 2-for-3 with a homer last night, but at the very least the Red Sox apparently won’t be in any hurry to activate him from the disabled list.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)