2013 MLB Draft: Round 3 notes – BoSox get steal in Jon Denney

Jun 7, 2013, 2:08 PM EST

Kent Emanuel AP

- With all night to think about it, the Astros made North Carolina left-hander Kent Emanuel the first pick off the board Friday and 74th overall selection. That splits the difference over where MLB.com (69th) and ESPN’s Keith Law (82nd) had him ranked. Emanuel is a 6-foot-4 lefty with a decent three-pitch arsenal, but command seems to be his strong suit.

It’s interesting that the Astros, who now have one of the most sabermetrically minded front offices in the game, have gone for three college pitchers in three picks. It indicates that they’re planning to stop rebuilding and start contending come 2015 or ’16. Otherwise, it would have made sense to go with bigger upside guys in the second and third rounds. It also suggests that maybe No. 1 overall pick Mark Appel won’t be signing for less than slot. If he was prepared to give the Astros some savings, the team could have grabbed signability players in the second and third. They can still do that later, but the talent will dwindle.

- Jon Denney’s free fall stopped when the Red Sox picked him No. 81. MLB.com had the high school catcher as the draft’s No. 20 prospect, while Keith Law had him at No. 22. It’s a curious landing spot for him, given that the Red Sox don’t figure to have a lot of flexibility to go over slot. Their first pick, high school left-hander Trey Ball, probably won’t settle for less than his slot. Their second pick, Teddy Stankiewicz, rejected the Mets’ offer as a second-rounder last year, and since he’s still just a freshman, he’ll have leverage in negotiations. If the Red Sox can get Denney signed anyway, it’d be quite a coup. They already have Ryan Lavarnway, Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart in the minors, but a team can never have enough catching.

- At No. 84, the Mets drafted a 6-foot-7, 190-pound high school righty named Casey Meisner. They’re probably hoping he fills out a bit.

- The Phillies grabbed outfielder Cord Sandberg with the 89th pick and now face the difficult task of luring him away from a football scholarship to play quarterback at Mississippi State. Rivals.com rated him the No. 8 high school quarterback prospect this year, so it won’t be an easy task.

- The No. 91 pick was outfielder Jacob May, going to the White Sox. He can’t be a third generation major leaguer, since his father, Lee May Jr., came up a little short after being drafted in the first round by the Mets in 1986. His grandfather, Lee, played 18 seasons and hit 354 homers in a career that ended in 1982, and his great uncle, Carlos, spent much of his 11-year career with the White Sox.

- Not to be confused with A’s left-hander Tomaso “Tommy” Milone, the Rays drafted high school outfielder Thomas Milone with the 97th overall pick. He’s an outstanding athlete in center, but one who is still learning the game after also playing football in Connecticut.

- The Yankees selected Paul O’Neill’s nephew Michael with the 103rd pick. He was the University of Michigan’s best hitter this year, finishing with a .356/.396/.498 line and 23 steals in 239 at-bats. He’s probably not going to last in center as a pro and he has limited home run power, so he’s going to have quite the uphill climb to the majors.

1. historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I guess the BloSox decided to load up on some OK goodness…

• proudlycanadian - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

The only way the Red Sox can afford to sign the kid is if they go cheap in the next 7 rounds. They can free up signing bonus room if they draft College seniors during the next 7 rounds. Seniors have no leverage and typically receive a small signing bonus.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

In rounds 4 and 5 the Red Sox drafted College Juniors. These guys have some leverage and are unlikely to sign significantly below slot. I would be shocked if Denney accepts the relatively low bonus that the Sox will offer him. I expect that he will go to college in hopes of a larger contract later. He showed up at the draft and obviously expected to go in the first round and to be paid like a first rounder.

• footballfan17 - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I read that Stankiewicz agreed to a below slot amount before he was drafted. Since he was rated in the seventies and they took him around 45 he probably isn’t giving up much if anything and the Sox have more money to sign others. If that rumor was true.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Boston’s last 4 picks were College seniors. If they can sign them cheap, they will have some extra bonus money to spend on higher upside players.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I don’t mind spending that pick on Denny – I’m not exactly Moons Over My Hammy about it, but it’s a reasonable gamble. If they can squeeze him in somehow – great. If he doesn’t sign, that leaves more slot money for other kids.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Trollkie!

• historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Hello, pot. I wouldn’t mind in the least if you call us the Tiggers. OG and Burgie both do it. I’m not thin-skinned like some fans who’ll thumb you down for a little teasing.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I was actually trying to be funny

/ buries head in hands while charlie brown sad music wafts across the room

• historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM

historiophiliac is sorry. :(

I wasn’t mad there — just making a suggestion.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I missed that – but you didn’t know I was with my niece when you suggested I smoke pot so I forgive you.

• historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

he he I wasn’t suggesting you smoke. I meant that you are the pot and I am the kettle. It was told to me by the Chinese plate.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

so now you’re getting racial

• historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Nevermind me – I’m determined to misunderstand everything. Will not be dissuaded. These tea baggers finally broke me.

• historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I’m thinking about taking a few days off meself.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

logic circuits fried
        sand box overpopulated
        also just savagely assaulted by 7 year old for iphone
        she’s taking selfies and laughing at me

• historiophiliac - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Mind your language, uncle.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Going hiatal sounds good.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Also my niece says “the wonderful thing about Tiggers is Tiggers are wonderful things – their bottoms are made out of rubber – their tails are made out of springs.”

2. sdelmonte - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Mets also took Lee Mazzilli’s son.

3. albertmn - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I’m asking because I don’t know, but if a team doesn’t sign one of their picks, do they still get the money from that slot? In the case of the Red Sox that you listed, if they fail to sign Stankiewicz, since he has leverage, can they take his money and use some to sign Denney and others instead? If Denney is truly a steal where they got him, it would sting less to have lost out on your 2nd round pick if you can use their money elsewhere.

• paperlions - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

No. For example, of the Astros don’t sign Appel, they lose all $7.9M from their draft pool. In an odd twist, this has given “easy sign” guys more leverage, because if you don’t sign them, you lose all of the money (and the draftee)…better to sign him for slightly below slot and get a couple 100 K to allot to other draftees than to lose the entire pool amount and the player.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

While what you say is true as far as it goes, the Sox will technically have more slot money for the top ten rounds if they don’t sign Denny’s than they would have had if they did sign him.

Let’s say for the sake of argument the Sox can only sign Denny’s for a premium of 10% over slot. This is money that will be subtracted from the pool that they can use on the rest of the players they draft in the top ten rounds. That’s the ‘savings’ I’m referring to. They lose the Denny slot money if they fail to sign him but at least that extra 10% is still in the pool for the other guys.

• paperlions - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM

They also lose Denny. There are no savings in that case, just a lost pick you are never getting back.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

True but at that pick, again, I don’t mind. If they spend a 2nd round pick and it doesn’t work out – that’s a bigger problem.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

As I wrote above, in the next 7 rounds, The Red Sox will have to go after college seniors whom they know they can sign for a very small bonus. That would free up money from the bonus pool that they could offer to Denney.

4. mazblast - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Lee May’s grandson. Good grief, I’m getting old. I still remember “The Big Bopper from Birmingham” coming up to the Reds and pushing Tony Perez to 3B, which made the Crosley Field box seats behind first base a hazardous place.

I also remember Lee Sr. for one of the longest home runs I’ve ever seen live, at Riverfront Stadium in 1971. You don’t often see a centerfielder turn and just watch. It was one of the few highlights for the Reds that year, a post-pennant-hangover year that saw them no-hit twice.

5. Caught Looking - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM

The NCAA penalized Mississippi State’s football program with two years of probation, a loss of four total scholarships, and a loss of four recruiting visits today. This should/could help the Phillies to sign Sandberg

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Not necessarily — now he can transfer schools without redshirting due to the penalties.

• The Jam Man - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Looks like a deal with Cord has been formally agreed to.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester