Jun 7, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
With a 4-3 victory over the White Sox tonight, the Athletics moved into first place in the AL West for the first time since April 20, when they were 12-6. Now 38-25, they are winners of 18 of their last 21 contests. The Rangers, who have been treading water for the last three weeks, fell to the Blue Jays 6-1, bringing their record down to 36-24.
Josh Donaldson has been the most surprising source of production for the A’s. Entering tonight’s game, he was his team’s leading hitter with a 153 adjusted OPS, including a .987 OPS over the last 30 days. He hit a grand slam in the sixth inning tonight off of White Sox starter Chris Sale to move the A’s from a 3-0 deficit to a 4-3 lead.
On the pitching side of things, Bartolo Colon looks as good as ever at the ripe age of 40. He has a 3.14 ERA with an AL-best two percent walk rate and 7.67 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Jarrod Parker, the winner of tonight’s affair, has turned things around in the last month (2.41 ERA) after a rough start to the season. Closer Grant Balfour is a perfect 15-for-15 in save opportunities with a 1.37 ERA on the season.
It’s easy to see why they’ve caught on fire.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)