Jun 7, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
With a 4-3 victory over the White Sox tonight, the Athletics moved into first place in the AL West for the first time since April 20, when they were 12-6. Now 38-25, they are winners of 18 of their last 21 contests. The Rangers, who have been treading water for the last three weeks, fell to the Blue Jays 6-1, bringing their record down to 36-24.
Josh Donaldson has been the most surprising source of production for the A’s. Entering tonight’s game, he was his team’s leading hitter with a 153 adjusted OPS, including a .987 OPS over the last 30 days. He hit a grand slam in the sixth inning tonight off of White Sox starter Chris Sale to move the A’s from a 3-0 deficit to a 4-3 lead.
On the pitching side of things, Bartolo Colon looks as good as ever at the ripe age of 40. He has a 3.14 ERA with an AL-best two percent walk rate and 7.67 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Jarrod Parker, the winner of tonight’s affair, has turned things around in the last month (2.41 ERA) after a rough start to the season. Closer Grant Balfour is a perfect 15-for-15 in save opportunities with a 1.37 ERA on the season.
It’s easy to see why they’ve caught on fire.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)