Jun 7, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Yankees and is once again a free agent.
Wang had a 2.33 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A, but managed just 25 strikeouts in 58 innings and there was little indication that the Yankees would seriously consider calling him up.
Meanwhile, last week there were several reports that multiple teams, including the Orioles, were keeping an eye on Wang as potential rotation help. So clearly Wang thinks he has a better chance of returning to the big leagues with a different organization.
UPDATE: Well, that was quick. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Wang is expected to sign with the Blue Jays and will likely start for them Tuesday against the White Sox.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)