Jun 7, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Yankees and is once again a free agent.
Wang had a 2.33 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A, but managed just 25 strikeouts in 58 innings and there was little indication that the Yankees would seriously consider calling him up.
Meanwhile, last week there were several reports that multiple teams, including the Orioles, were keeping an eye on Wang as potential rotation help. So clearly Wang thinks he has a better chance of returning to the big leagues with a different organization.
UPDATE: Well, that was quick. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Wang is expected to sign with the Blue Jays and will likely start for them Tuesday against the White Sox.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (120)