Jun 7, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Yankees and is once again a free agent.
Wang had a 2.33 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A, but managed just 25 strikeouts in 58 innings and there was little indication that the Yankees would seriously consider calling him up.
Meanwhile, last week there were several reports that multiple teams, including the Orioles, were keeping an eye on Wang as potential rotation help. So clearly Wang thinks he has a better chance of returning to the big leagues with a different organization.
UPDATE: Well, that was quick. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Wang is expected to sign with the Blue Jays and will likely start for them Tuesday against the White Sox.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 9
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)