Jun 7, 2013, 12:40 PM EST
Pirates stud prospect Gerrit Cole, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft out of UCLA, is “very likely” to make his big-league debut Tuesday versus the Giants, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
Cole came into the season ranked as a top-10 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com, and the 22-year-old right-hander has started 12 games at Triple-A with a 2.91 ERA and 47/28 K/BB ratio in 68 innings.
Averaging just 6.2 strikeouts per nine innings while walking 3.7 batters per nine innings doesn’t exactly scream for a promotion to the majors and Cole has yet to record more than five strikeouts in a start this season. On the other hand he’s held opponents to a measly .190 batting average and has tossed seven shutout innings in back-to-back starts. And the Pirates need a starter to fill in for the injured Wandy Rodriguez.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (253)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)