Jun 7, 2013, 10:10 AM EST
Initial reports had Perez being charged with drug possession, but that was later amended to Perez simply being investigated for a package containing marijuana being delivered to his house. There was even some speculation that the place’s previous owners, who apparently had a lengthy rap sheet, were responsible.
Today most of that confusion has been cleared up, as NewsNet5 in Cleveland reports that Perez and his wife have been charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of controlled substance. According to police the couple had “a little more than a third of a pound of marijuana or 163.9 grams” delivered to their home and they’re scheduled to be arraigned on June 19.
Perez, who’s on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, has been released on bond.
UPDATE: Perez’s lawyer told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the couple will plead not guilty.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)