Jun 7, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
Initial reports had Perez being charged with drug possession, but that was later amended to Perez simply being investigated for a package containing marijuana being delivered to his house. There was even some speculation that the place’s previous owners, who apparently had a lengthy rap sheet, were responsible.
Today most of that confusion has been cleared up, as NewsNet5 in Cleveland reports that Perez and his wife have been charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of controlled substance. According to police the couple had “a little more than a third of a pound of marijuana or 163.9 grams” delivered to their home and they’re scheduled to be arraigned on June 19.
Perez, who’s on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, has been released on bond.
UPDATE: Perez’s lawyer told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the couple will plead not guilty.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)