Mets expected to call up Zack Wheeler next Friday

Jun 7, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT

Zack Wheeler AP

While noting that nothing is set in stone yet, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets are expected to call up top prospect Zack Wheeler to make his big-league debut next Friday against the Cubs at Citi Field.

Wheeler, who was acquired from the Giants in the mid-2011 deal for Carlos Beltran, ranked as a top-15 prospect coming into the season according to both Baseball America and MLB.com. He’s started 11 games at Triple-A, posting a 3.86 ERA and 59/24 K/BB ratio in 58 innings despite pitching in an extremely hitter-friendly environment in Las Vegas.

Wheeler is slated to start tonight at Triple-A, which would be his final minor-league outing before the promotion if Rubin’s sources are correct.

1. fanofevilempire - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

he better be the real deal with all the crap already otherwise
    he will have a rough time in nyc.
    best of luck, just watch Harvey, he is smooth and have you seen
    the chick he scored, just win and you can have one too.

2. sdelmonte - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

It’s not the heady days of 1984-85, when Darryl and Doc made the Mets a hot ticket. But it feels good to see a glimmer of hope from the young guns. There is reason to think that the Mets’ rotation could be something to reckon with in the near future.

If only they could score some bats. Any bats.

3. specialkindofstupid - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Assuming the kid pans out, I hope someone in the Mets front office thinks to send Brian Sabean a fruit basket. Or maybe a Red Lobster gift card.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

instead of worrying about a man crush on Sabean, I think
      Sandy’s front office amigos better get some bats because
      as you see Harvey can’t pitch shut outs every start, you can’t
      win every game 1-0.
      and the stingy Wilpons better open up there tightly held
      purse, enough of this double A shite they run out there.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Yes, but a Red Lobster gift card combined with a friendly-worded letter could lead to Sabean also sending a hitter of two New York’s way someday.

Manners matter.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Really? Worry about the Bronx, chief. Last I checked that Double AA team kicked your teeth in a couple weeks ago. Maybe the Yankees have some issues you could concern yourself with.

• Last Road Reviews - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Nah Mets can’t afford that. Too rich for them. Maybe a.99 cent thank you card is in the budget. Maybe

• fanofevilempire - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Sorry, I thought I could comment like everyone else.
        I’m not afraid to have the screen name I chose.
        I actually favor ALL teams that have a NY on their chest
        because I was born on SI and I live In Brooklyn.
        You are correct, the Yankees have their own issues, I hope they make the playoffs.
        I got a kick out of the Mets sweeping the Yanks, I was hoping
        they would be competitive and the Wilpons would get them some help and they too
        could make the Playoffs.
        I do hope the METS put on a good show @ All Star Game, I will be happy
        for the Met fans and NY.

4. billybawl - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM

This could be fun. His AAA stats would be significantly better if he didn’t pitch half his games in Las Vegas.

5. jhb64 - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

No matter how good or bad he is he still needs 8 other people behind him

• fanofevilempire - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

actually he only needs 7even people behind him and the catcher in front of him.

6. neoshweaty - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM

He’s probably not going to get many wins but I think he’ll do just fine in the show. I’m really looking forward to seeing what he’s got.

7. mazblast - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Come on, Mets fans, don’t sneer at having Harvey and now Wheeler just because you have little behind them other than David Wright. It’s more than you’ve had in several years. Must you always be with the negative waves?

• mookie311 - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Well first of all, the Mets don’t just hit us fans with their proverbial car, they back up over us a couple of times before speeding away.

I won’t speak for anyone else, but I personally am incredibly grateful for Wright, Harvey and Wheeler. 20 other teams would kill to have that trio. But we all know it’s another “wait for next year” year. That’s why sweeping the Yankees should have been glorious, but just felt empty because you just HAD to know they’d go out and poop the bed against the Marlins. And sure enough…

You have to forgive us for being pessimists. We’ve been run over a few dozen times now.

8. punksinplay - Jun 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM

It will be nice to see what the kid can do but it won’t make any difference. The Mets are a horrible offensive team. Their pitching has actually been decent of late.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey