Jun 7, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
While noting that nothing is set in stone yet, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets are expected to call up top prospect Zack Wheeler to make his big-league debut next Friday against the Cubs at Citi Field.
Wheeler, who was acquired from the Giants in the mid-2011 deal for Carlos Beltran, ranked as a top-15 prospect coming into the season according to both Baseball America and MLB.com. He’s started 11 games at Triple-A, posting a 3.86 ERA and 59/24 K/BB ratio in 58 innings despite pitching in an extremely hitter-friendly environment in Las Vegas.
Wheeler is slated to start tonight at Triple-A, which would be his final minor-league outing before the promotion if Rubin’s sources are correct.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)