Jun 7, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
While noting that nothing is set in stone yet, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets are expected to call up top prospect Zack Wheeler to make his big-league debut next Friday against the Cubs at Citi Field.
Wheeler, who was acquired from the Giants in the mid-2011 deal for Carlos Beltran, ranked as a top-15 prospect coming into the season according to both Baseball America and MLB.com. He’s started 11 games at Triple-A, posting a 3.86 ERA and 59/24 K/BB ratio in 58 innings despite pitching in an extremely hitter-friendly environment in Las Vegas.
Wheeler is slated to start tonight at Triple-A, which would be his final minor-league outing before the promotion if Rubin’s sources are correct.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)