Jun 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Steven Marcus of Newsday reports that MLB has “tons” of witnesses beyond just Anthony Bosch in its case against the Biogenesis players:
Major League Baseball’s investigation into Alex Rodriguez and other players is being built on testimony and evidence provided by many witnesses in addition to the cooperation of the anti-aging clinic’s founder, Anthony Bosch, a source familiar with the probe said Thursday … According to the source, interviews with “tons” of people will help frame the basis of MLB’s investigation.
This could mean something. It could mean nothing. It totally depends on who those witnesses are.
For example, if the “tons” of witnesses are merely other Biogenesis employees, you have the same problems that Major League Baseball has with Anthony Bosch. Many of these employees are alleged to have tried to sell their story to the media and to sell records and documents as well. Moreover, they all may, like Bosch in most cases, be a step removed from the players themselves, having sold drugs to intermediareis, employees of players and people like that. As we learned the other day, arbitrators will want to have direct evidence of player use of drugs, not just delivery or purchase.
More damning witnesses, however, would be the “intermediaries” mentioned in Tuesday’s ESPN report. The people who actually supplied drugs to players. For example, if MLB has access to that employee of the Levinson Brothers who is alleged to have given drugs to players and attempted to cover up their use, that would be pretty darn significant. Or people who witnessed players actually taking banned drugs. The simple notion, though, that the sheer number of witnesses equals a strong case is wrong. After all, the Clemens prosecutors called 23 witnesses. That didn’t work out so good.
So yes, this could be pretty big. It just really hinges, however, on who these guys are.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)