Jun 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Steven Marcus of Newsday reports that MLB has “tons” of witnesses beyond just Anthony Bosch in its case against the Biogenesis players:
Major League Baseball’s investigation into Alex Rodriguez and other players is being built on testimony and evidence provided by many witnesses in addition to the cooperation of the anti-aging clinic’s founder, Anthony Bosch, a source familiar with the probe said Thursday … According to the source, interviews with “tons” of people will help frame the basis of MLB’s investigation.
This could mean something. It could mean nothing. It totally depends on who those witnesses are.
For example, if the “tons” of witnesses are merely other Biogenesis employees, you have the same problems that Major League Baseball has with Anthony Bosch. Many of these employees are alleged to have tried to sell their story to the media and to sell records and documents as well. Moreover, they all may, like Bosch in most cases, be a step removed from the players themselves, having sold drugs to intermediareis, employees of players and people like that. As we learned the other day, arbitrators will want to have direct evidence of player use of drugs, not just delivery or purchase.
More damning witnesses, however, would be the “intermediaries” mentioned in Tuesday’s ESPN report. The people who actually supplied drugs to players. For example, if MLB has access to that employee of the Levinson Brothers who is alleged to have given drugs to players and attempted to cover up their use, that would be pretty darn significant. Or people who witnessed players actually taking banned drugs. The simple notion, though, that the sheer number of witnesses equals a strong case is wrong. After all, the Clemens prosecutors called 23 witnesses. That didn’t work out so good.
So yes, this could be pretty big. It just really hinges, however, on who these guys are.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)