Jun 7, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Craig is away today, so we’re going with a “Settling the Score” in lieu of the usual “And That Happened.” Don’t worry, we’ll return to our regularly scheduled programming on Monday.
While plenty of attention was focused on the 2013 First-Year Player Draft last night, there were some baseball games going on. And Yasiel Puig stole the show once again, as the Cuban outfielder smacked a dramatic grand slam in a 5-0 victory over the Braves.
Zack Greinke gave up four hits over seven shutout frames and struck out seven for his third win of the season. The Dodgers held a slim 1-0 lead before Puig broke things open with an opposite-field blast off Cody Gearrin with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning. And yes, he got another curtain call at Dodger Stadium. He’s already making a habit out of those.
Puig is now hitting .438 (7-for-16) with three home runs, one double and nine RBI over his first four games in the big leagues. For the moment, all that talk about him saving the Dodgers’ season doesn’t sound like hyperbole.
Your Thursday box scores:
Athletics 5, White Sox 4 (10 innings)
Padres 6, Rockies 5 (12 innings)
Mets/Nationals – PPD
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 29
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)