Jun 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow against the Indians due to right shoulder stiffness, reports Jason Beck of MLB.com. Jose Alvarez will be called up to start in his place.
Sanchez had season-ending labrum surgery back in 2007 with the Marlins, but he told Beck that the tightness is more in his upper back than his shoulder. The 29-year-old said he had the same issue last year and only missed one start, so he’s hoping for similar luck this time around.
Sanchez is off to a fantastic start for the AL Central-leading Tigers this season, posting a 2.65 ERA and 98/19 K/BB ratio over 78 innings. Only Yu Darvish and teammate Max Scherzer have more strikeout.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 17
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 45
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)