Jun 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow against the Indians due to right shoulder stiffness, reports Jason Beck of MLB.com. Jose Alvarez will be called up to start in his place.
Sanchez had season-ending labrum surgery back in 2007 with the Marlins, but he told Beck that the tightness is more in his upper back than his shoulder. The 29-year-old said he had the same issue last year and only missed one start, so he’s hoping for similar luck this time around.
Sanchez is off to a fantastic start for the AL Central-leading Tigers this season, posting a 2.65 ERA and 98/19 K/BB ratio over 78 innings. Only Yu Darvish and teammate Max Scherzer have more strikeout.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29