Jun 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow against the Indians due to right shoulder stiffness, reports Jason Beck of MLB.com. Jose Alvarez will be called up to start in his place.
Sanchez had season-ending labrum surgery back in 2007 with the Marlins, but he told Beck that the tightness is more in his upper back than his shoulder. The 29-year-old said he had the same issue last year and only missed one start, so he’s hoping for similar luck this time around.
Sanchez is off to a fantastic start for the AL Central-leading Tigers this season, posting a 2.65 ERA and 98/19 K/BB ratio over 78 innings. Only Yu Darvish and teammate Max Scherzer have more strikeout.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)