Jun 8, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
The Marlins had a miserable .198/.268/.272 batting line from their first basemen coming into play today, but the club should get a boost at the position in the coming days.
Morrison, who had surgery last September to repair a torn patellar tendon in his right knee, is hitting .182 (10-for-55) with two homers in 15 rehab games between High-A Jupiter and Double-A Jacksonville. However, the important part is that he hasn’t suffered any setbacks with the knee. And hey, it’s not like he could be worse than what the Marlins have been putting out there.
After posting an .811 OPS between 2010-2011, Morrison dropped down to a .707 OPS in 93 games last year. His knee has been an issue for a long time now, so perhaps some improved health will set him up for that long-awaited breakout. Remember, he’s still just 25 years old.
Giancarlo Stanton likely isn’t far behind Morrison, though the Marlins may push him back for a couple of days due to rained out rehab games. The young slugger has been sidelined since April 29 with a strained right hamstring.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)