Jun 8, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
The Marlins had a miserable .198/.268/.272 batting line from their first basemen coming into play today, but the club should get a boost at the position in the coming days.
Morrison, who had surgery last September to repair a torn patellar tendon in his right knee, is hitting .182 (10-for-55) with two homers in 15 rehab games between High-A Jupiter and Double-A Jacksonville. However, the important part is that he hasn’t suffered any setbacks with the knee. And hey, it’s not like he could be worse than what the Marlins have been putting out there.
After posting an .811 OPS between 2010-2011, Morrison dropped down to a .707 OPS in 93 games last year. His knee has been an issue for a long time now, so perhaps some improved health will set him up for that long-awaited breakout. Remember, he’s still just 25 years old.
Giancarlo Stanton likely isn’t far behind Morrison, though the Marlins may push him back for a couple of days due to rained out rehab games. The young slugger has been sidelined since April 29 with a strained right hamstring.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)