Jun 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Aardsma signed a minor league deal with New York last month after he opted out of his contract with the Marlins. The 31-year-old had a 1.12 ERA and 11 strikeouts in eight innings over his first eight appearances with the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate.
Mets’ relievers rank last in the majors with a 4.91 ERA, so the club could use an arm with some upside. We’ve barely heard from Aardsma since his Tommy John surgery in 2011, but he had a 2.90 ERA and 69 saves while serving as the Mariners’ closer from 2009-2010.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)