Jun 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Aardsma signed a minor league deal with New York last month after he opted out of his contract with the Marlins. The 31-year-old had a 1.12 ERA and 11 strikeouts in eight innings over his first eight appearances with the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate.
Mets’ relievers rank last in the majors with a 4.91 ERA, so the club could use an arm with some upside. We’ve barely heard from Aardsma since his Tommy John surgery in 2011, but he had a 2.90 ERA and 69 saves while serving as the Mariners’ closer from 2009-2010.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 45
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)