Jun 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Aardsma signed a minor league deal with New York last month after he opted out of his contract with the Marlins. The 31-year-old had a 1.12 ERA and 11 strikeouts in eight innings over his first eight appearances with the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate.
Mets’ relievers rank last in the majors with a 4.91 ERA, so the club could use an arm with some upside. We’ve barely heard from Aardsma since his Tommy John surgery in 2011, but he had a 2.90 ERA and 69 saves while serving as the Mariners’ closer from 2009-2010.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 36
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)