Mets designate Rick Ankiel for assignment, recall Kirk Nieuwenhuis

Jun 8, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT

Rick Ankiel, Adeiny Hechavarria AP

Rick Ankiel entered today’s marathon ballgame against the Marlins in the 13th inning, taking reliever David Aardsma‘s spot at #9 in the lineup. In his four at-bats, he struck out three times and fouled out weakly to Placido Polanco at third base. Since coming over to the Mets after the Astros cut him, Ankiel came to the plate 71 times, getting hits in only 12 of them.

The Mets designated Ankiel for assignment and have recalled Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Triple-A Las Vegas, reports ESPN’s Adam Rubin. Nieuwenhuis is hitting .232 in the Minors, but has a .339 on-base percentage thanks to 22 walks in 167 PA. He has a .486 slugging percentage as well, thanks in large part to ten home runs.

1. dondada10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Gotta figure that’s the end of the line for Ankiel.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Probably, but he had a nice career.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I hate to be the spelling police….but how the hell did you misspell “Mets” by typing A-n-k-i-e-l?

• ezthinking - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I thought they wrote that article when the Astros let him go?

He’ll be back this year somewhere. Not that he necessarily should, but he will.

Good for him.

2. cordellgc - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

end of the line for a lot of players since they are cracking down on these “health clinics”

3. jsally430 - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM

better start off the ole pitching arm

4. artthoumad - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

seriously, how many times has someone said “has to be the end for ankiel” this season? lol at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if he found a team

5. randygnyc - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM

He should make an attempt at relieving. Maybe he’s found his control or worked through that block. It’s been long enough.

6. jm91rs - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I was really hoping in a marathon game like today he’d get a chance to pitch.

7. dukepatrol - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

As pathetic of an end of career performance as I’ve seen in a long time

• beebopthearcher - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Umm..pathetic? The guy came back from an epic pitching implosion to have a seven year career as an MLB outfielder. Call it what you will, but whatever it is is probably the exact opposite of “pathetic”.

• mazblast - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

dukepatrol was probably referring to Ankiel’s performance Saturday, not to his overall career.

8. tuberippin - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Somehow, he was worse with the Mets (78 OPS+) than with the Astros (89 OPS+). Either way he was more than 10% below league average both times.

That K rate is insane though. 44% of his ABs have ended with a strikeout. He’s still sporting some serious power, but that K rate is unbelievable. I’d say maybe he has a shot at a bench gig with a bad team in need of a power bat, but if he strikes out nearly half the time he steps to the plate, it would probably not be worth it to sign him.

I want another team (Marlins?) to sign him, just because I’d like to see how many Ks it would take for him to rack up 20 HRs (he’s at 7 on the year).

9. coryfor3 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Got nothing to lose trying to pitch again

10. beebopthearcher - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Okay, seriously this time.

Farewell Rick. What a bizarre, sometimes amazing, sometimes horrifying, but altogether fascinating career it has been. To go from phoneme, to meltdown to outfielder was nothing short of amazing.

Obviously his last couple of years were less than hot. But let’s not forget how he started his career as a position player:
    653 PAs
    96 runs
    36 HR
    110 RBI
    .270/.334/.515

11. jhb64 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM

The Mets should start to bring up all of their good prospects and lets see what they can do. Can’t do much worse

12. cackalackyank - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Hey Rick, you are an outfielder and have just been dfa’d by the Mutt’s. You have officially hit bottom.

• beebopthearcher - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Umm…I would have thought the epic meltdown in the postseason was bottom….everything he did as a major league outfielder was pretty far from bottom because even making it back was nothing short of incredible.

13. geshtahl - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I’ve had this discussion with my friends:
    Would Rick Ankiel make a good coach/manager?
    I’ve found myself seeing both sides, so I thought I’d bring it here.

14. mitch079 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

He’ll probably be playing in an Independent League for awhile.

15. straightouttavtown - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I would take Ankiel over Jeff Francoeur any day

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5219)