Jun 8, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
Rick Ankiel entered today’s marathon ballgame against the Marlins in the 13th inning, taking reliever David Aardsma‘s spot at #9 in the lineup. In his four at-bats, he struck out three times and fouled out weakly to Placido Polanco at third base. Since coming over to the Mets after the Astros cut him, Ankiel came to the plate 71 times, getting hits in only 12 of them.
The Mets designated Ankiel for assignment and have recalled Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Triple-A Las Vegas, reports ESPN’s Adam Rubin. Nieuwenhuis is hitting .232 in the Minors, but has a .339 on-base percentage thanks to 22 walks in 167 PA. He has a .486 slugging percentage as well, thanks in large part to ten home runs.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)