Jun 8, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
MLB will reportedly receive cooperation from Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch in their investigation into performance-enhancing drugs, but they aren’t having as much luck with one of his former associates. In fact, the attorney for Carlos Acevedo is accusing MLB of “bullying” his client, per this report by Mike Fish and T.J. Quinn of ESPN.com.
The attorney for Carlos Acevedo, who along with Bosch and three others was named in a civil suit brought by MLB in March, told “Outside the Lines” he has filed a motion to have his client dismissed from the suit. Martin Beguiristain expects his motion to be heard Wednesday in a Miami-Dade County circuit court.
Acevedo, a former partner with Bosch in a wellness clinic, could presumably be helpful to baseball in supporting and corroborating information presented by Bosch, who even MLB officials acknowledge has credibility issues. The two worked together at Biokem, located in the same Coral Gables office that eventually would house Bosch’s Biogenesis of America clinic.
Beguiristain said he has spoken with MLB officials within the past week, but they never have met with Acevedo. Nor have they presented an offer similar to what Bosch received for his cooperation.
As for the “bullying,” Beguiristain claims that baseball has gone out of its way to antagonize his client and other defendants in the civil suit. This includes MLB allegedly sending investigators to Acevedo’s house who are “threatening” and “intimidating” him.
Beguiristain expects to successfully argue for his client’s dismissal from the suit on the grounds it’s frivolous and that baseball committed an error by not naming the MLB Players Association. He also said that if the matter gets to a hearing Wednesday, his client is unlikely to ever cooperate with MLB.
Getting Acevedo to cooperate in the investigation would obviously add some credibility to Bosch’s testimony, but MLB reportedly has “tons” of other witnesses at their disposal.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 39
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)