Jun 8, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
MLB will reportedly receive cooperation from Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch in their investigation into performance-enhancing drugs, but they aren’t having as much luck with one of his former associates. In fact, the attorney for Carlos Acevedo is accusing MLB of “bullying” his client, per this report by Mike Fish and T.J. Quinn of ESPN.com.
The attorney for Carlos Acevedo, who along with Bosch and three others was named in a civil suit brought by MLB in March, told “Outside the Lines” he has filed a motion to have his client dismissed from the suit. Martin Beguiristain expects his motion to be heard Wednesday in a Miami-Dade County circuit court.
Acevedo, a former partner with Bosch in a wellness clinic, could presumably be helpful to baseball in supporting and corroborating information presented by Bosch, who even MLB officials acknowledge has credibility issues. The two worked together at Biokem, located in the same Coral Gables office that eventually would house Bosch’s Biogenesis of America clinic.
Beguiristain said he has spoken with MLB officials within the past week, but they never have met with Acevedo. Nor have they presented an offer similar to what Bosch received for his cooperation.
As for the “bullying,” Beguiristain claims that baseball has gone out of its way to antagonize his client and other defendants in the civil suit. This includes MLB allegedly sending investigators to Acevedo’s house who are “threatening” and “intimidating” him.
Beguiristain expects to successfully argue for his client’s dismissal from the suit on the grounds it’s frivolous and that baseball committed an error by not naming the MLB Players Association. He also said that if the matter gets to a hearing Wednesday, his client is unlikely to ever cooperate with MLB.
Getting Acevedo to cooperate in the investigation would obviously add some credibility to Bosch’s testimony, but MLB reportedly has “tons” of other witnesses at their disposal.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)