Jun 8, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
After sitting out the 2011 season and undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2012, Jeremy Bonderman was completely off the radar coming into this season. However, after being called up to join the Mariners’ rotation late last month, Bonderman is finally back in the win column.
Bonderman held the Yankees to one run on three hits over six innings last night as part of a 4-1 victory at Safeco Field. It gave him his first win in the majors since September 8, 2010 as a member of the Tigers.
Bonderman struck out two and walked one in the surprising effort. The 30-year-old gave up one run in the first inning on a ground out and was at 50 pitches through two innings, but he managed to retire 14 out of the final 15 batters he faced.
The only offense for the Mariners came on a pair of two-run singles by Brendan Ryan and Jason Bay against Hiroki Kuroda in the fourth inning. Bay, another comeback story of sorts, has eight homers and a .748 OPS through 47 games this season. He had a .687 OPS during his time in New York.
Your Friday box scores:
Braves 1, Dodgers 2 (10 innings)
Angels/Red Sox – PPD
Marlins/Mets – PPD
Twins/Nationals – PPD
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 51
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)