The Orioles drafted Carl Yastrzemski’s grandson

Jun 8, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT

orioles logo

Here’s one noteworthy pick from the third and final day of the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. Mike Yastrzemski, the grandson of Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski, was selected in the 14th round (429th overall) today by the Orioles.

Yastrzemski was actually drafted by the Red Sox out of high school back in 2009, but decided to attend Vanderbilt University instead. Standing at 5-foot-10 and 185 pounds, the 22-year-old outfielder hit .322/.419/.464 with three home runs in 64 games as a senior this year and was named to the SEC All-Tournament team. Like his grandfather, he bats from the left side.

For more background on Yastrzemski, check out this excellent piece from Tyler Kepner of the New York Times. Living in the shadow of a legend isn’t easy.

1. tfbuckfutter - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I hope he never makes it to the bigs.

Not that I wish him any ill will or anything. It’s purely selfish. I specifically avoid talking about his grandfather on the internet because I hate typing Yastrzemski.

It’s not even that I have to look it up, because I’m a Sox fan so I know how to spell it….but it’s a pain in the ass to type and even though I know how to spell it, it still makes me doubt myself.

So the last thing I need is an MVP caliber player, from a division rival, that I have to point out on a regular basis isn’t as good as he appears to be, and then type out that long ass name all the time.

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM

You make me proud to be an American, Sir.

• badintent - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM

U could go with Yaz. I did for the 22 years grandpa played.He killed my Yankees all the time.And he came from a potato farm in LI , Yankees missed a stud.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

No kidding. It was always Yaz. It will always be Yaz. Many, many years from now, that is all it will say on his grave. His obit will simply read: Baseball mourns Yaz; HoF, TC. Hell, HE doesn’t know how to spell it!!

• Glenn - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I have trouble with “Michael” too.

• trollingforjustice - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:03 AM

try YAZ pretty much everyone in america did while he played

2. Bob - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Great story on the younger Yaz (how hard is that?). I hope he gets to the big leagues and has a fine major-league career.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:38 PM

When you type “Yaz” instead of “Yastrzemski” you are broadcasting that you don’t know, or are too lazy to look up, how to spell it.

That’s why people with terrible names get nicknames like that. It’s even a pain when speaking it. He shows up at school for the first day of kindergarten and the teacher just says “Yeah, I’m going to call you Yaz” and then he says “Hey, that’s my dad’s nickname….and my uncle’s….and my other uncle’s….and my brother’s….and my grandfather’s…..”

• richyballgame - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Wow,what really is the big deal? The kid probably will make it to the bigs,and you’ll have to type his name as Mike Yastrzemski or Yaz,or whatever nickname or moniker he gets.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I love how no matter how stupid what I post is, somewhere between a few and a lot of people take it seriously.

If I said we should castrate everyone with a name more than 6 letters long for convenience…..some dummy would respond “OMG! That is awful! They have every right to continue their family line and you are a horrible person for thinking that.”

I said specifically I’m a Red Sox fan. Jesus, obviously I have the utmost respect for the Yastrzemski family and wish this kid the best (after he gets traded out of the division).

Downvote the comment for missing the joke-mark….but don’t frickin respond to it seriously.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM

And also….I guarantee you didn’t just type Yastrzemski without looking at the headline of the post.

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Kid was probably 8 before he could spell his own name…probably took up a page on his Big Chief writing tablet.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3834)