Jun 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, the Indians have placed right-hander Zach McAllister on the disabled list with a right finger sprain. Carlos Carrasco has been called up from Triple-A Columbus in a corresponding roster move and will make the start this afternoon against the Tigers. In turn, Justin Masterson has been pushed back to tomorrow.
McAllister told reporters earlier this week that he felt discomfort in his finger when he gave up a season-high five runs (four earned) and walked four during his most recent start on June 2 against the Rays. The injury prevented him from throwing his curveball, so the Indians are hoping that some extra rest will get him back on track physically. The 25-year-old right-hander has quietly been very effective this season, posting a 3.43 ERA and 45/22 K/BB ratio in 65 2/3 innings.
You may remember that Carrasco was handed an eight-game suspension for throwing at the Yankees’ Kevin Youkilis on April 9. He’s appealing the suspension for now, but he could drop it after today’s start. The 26-year-old right-hander has a 3.21 ERA and 50/14 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over nine starts and one relief appearance this season in Triple-A.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 26
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)