Jun 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, the Indians have placed right-hander Zach McAllister on the disabled list with a right finger sprain. Carlos Carrasco has been called up from Triple-A Columbus in a corresponding roster move and will make the start this afternoon against the Tigers. In turn, Justin Masterson has been pushed back to tomorrow.
McAllister told reporters earlier this week that he felt discomfort in his finger when he gave up a season-high five runs (four earned) and walked four during his most recent start on June 2 against the Rays. The injury prevented him from throwing his curveball, so the Indians are hoping that some extra rest will get him back on track physically. The 25-year-old right-hander has quietly been very effective this season, posting a 3.43 ERA and 45/22 K/BB ratio in 65 2/3 innings.
You may remember that Carrasco was handed an eight-game suspension for throwing at the Yankees’ Kevin Youkilis on April 9. He’s appealing the suspension for now, but he could drop it after today’s start. The 26-year-old right-hander has a 3.21 ERA and 50/14 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over nine starts and one relief appearance this season in Triple-A.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)