Jun 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, the Indians have placed right-hander Zach McAllister on the disabled list with a right finger sprain. Carlos Carrasco has been called up from Triple-A Columbus in a corresponding roster move and will make the start this afternoon against the Tigers. In turn, Justin Masterson has been pushed back to tomorrow.
McAllister told reporters earlier this week that he felt discomfort in his finger when he gave up a season-high five runs (four earned) and walked four during his most recent start on June 2 against the Rays. The injury prevented him from throwing his curveball, so the Indians are hoping that some extra rest will get him back on track physically. The 25-year-old right-hander has quietly been very effective this season, posting a 3.43 ERA and 45/22 K/BB ratio in 65 2/3 innings.
You may remember that Carrasco was handed an eight-game suspension for throwing at the Yankees’ Kevin Youkilis on April 9. He’s appealing the suspension for now, but he could drop it after today’s start. The 26-year-old right-hander has a 3.21 ERA and 50/14 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over nine starts and one relief appearance this season in Triple-A.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)