Jun 8, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that the Mets were aiming for top prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler to make his major league debut next Friday against the Cubs at Citi Field, but it turns out that we’ll have to wait a bit longer.
John Harper of the New York Daily News reports that Wheeler is now expected to make another start with Triple-A Las Vegas before coming up to the major leagues. This means that he’ll likely make his major league debut when the Mets play five games against the Braves in Atlanta from June 17-20.
Wheeler gave up four runs on eight hits and a walk over 4 2/3 innings last night, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that nothing shifted due to the shaky performance and the Mets had Atlanta in mind all along. As Harper was told by one person, the Mets are already so close to the expected Super Two cut-off date that it’s better to play things safe with his timeline.
While Wheeler won’t have to deal with the pressure of making his major league debut at Citi Field, it’s worth noting that he’s from Smyrna, Georgia. He figures to have a rather large contingent of family and friends in attendance for the occasion.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)