Jun 8, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that the Mets were aiming for top prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler to make his major league debut next Friday against the Cubs at Citi Field, but it turns out that we’ll have to wait a bit longer.
John Harper of the New York Daily News reports that Wheeler is now expected to make another start with Triple-A Las Vegas before coming up to the major leagues. This means that he’ll likely make his major league debut when the Mets play five games against the Braves in Atlanta from June 17-20.
Wheeler gave up four runs on eight hits and a walk over 4 2/3 innings last night, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that nothing shifted due to the shaky performance and the Mets had Atlanta in mind all along. As Harper was told by one person, the Mets are already so close to the expected Super Two cut-off date that it’s better to play things safe with his timeline.
While Wheeler won’t have to deal with the pressure of making his major league debut at Citi Field, it’s worth noting that he’s from Smyrna, Georgia. He figures to have a rather large contingent of family and friends in attendance for the occasion.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)