Jun 9, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
Scary stuff here from beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
Right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who needed emergency surgery after being struck on the head by a line drive last season, suffered a seizure last week.
The Diamondbacks pitcher said Saturday he’s fine now and is hopeful it won’t push back his recovery from shoulder inflammation.
McCarthy was at a restaurant in north Phoenix with his wife, Amanda, on Monday night when the incident occurred.
After he slumped over in a booth, Amanda climbed across, pushed the table away and called for help.
McCarthy was rushed to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona where he was given a CT scan and immediately put on anti-seizure medication. The CT scan, thankfully, showed no new head trauma.
“I remember someone restraining me and telling me I had a seizure,” McCarthy told Piecoro later. “I don’t really remember much past that until I was at the hospital.” It was the first seizure he’s ever had.
McCarthy is on the disabled list currently because of right shoulder inflammation. The 29-year-old starting pitcher had a 5.00 ERA, 1.43 WHIP and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)