Brandon McCarthy suffers seizure linked to head injury

Jun 9, 2013, 9:43 AM EST

mccarthy getty Getty Images

Scary stuff here from beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:

Right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who needed emergency surgery after being struck on the head by a line drive last season, suffered a seizure last week.

The Diamondbacks pitcher said Saturday he’s fine now and is hopeful it won’t push back his recovery from shoulder inflammation.

McCarthy was at a restaurant in north Phoenix with his wife, Amanda, on Monday night when the incident occurred.

After he slumped over in a booth, Amanda climbed across, pushed the table away and called for help.

McCarthy was rushed to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona where he was given a CT scan and immediately put on anti-seizure medication. The CT scan, thankfully, showed no new head trauma.

“I remember someone restraining me and telling me I had a seizure,” McCarthy told Piecoro later. “I don’t really remember much past that until I was at the hospital.” It was the first seizure he’s ever had.

McCarthy is on the disabled list currently because of right shoulder inflammation. The 29-year-old starting pitcher had a 5.00 ERA, 1.43 WHIP and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf.

1. chill1184 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Get better McCarthy

2. randygnyc - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Unfortunate.

3. natsattack - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Best wishes for him, I hope it isn’t a life-long problem that he will have to endure.

4. Albin Henneberger - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

5. Albin Henneberger - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Video of incident here:

6. stoutfiles - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

He should probably retire at this point. What if he gets hit in the head again pitching or batting? Collision on the base paths? He’s got enough money, he doesn’t have to do this anymore.

• cur68 - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The right medication will control the seizures with any luck. The trouble, as you say, is the potential for re-injury. He might consider a batting helmet while pitching. Give up his career, though? That’s easy for us to say. Its not our careers. Right now, he’s probably having that conversation with everyone dear to him. I don’t know what I would do for certain, but I think, if it were me as the MLB Pitcher, I’d want to keep going. But is that the right thing to do? Probably in terms of his physical health it is. But his mental health? Jeez. That’s tough. What should he do? Hell if I know.

7. rbj1 - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Jeez. Best of luck to him.

8. indaburg - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Bad news for McCarthy. Needless to say (but I’ll say it anyway), our brains are very complicated and there’s still a lot we’re learning. I wish him the best of luck. He’s a great guy.

9. 13arod - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

glad he is okay and hopefully this doesn’t happen again

10. randygnyc - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Hadn’t even considered reinjury. Yeah, he must at least consider retirement.

11. Albin Henneberger - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

How can baseball do better to protect its pitchers? Find out here:

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester