Jun 9, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
Scary stuff here from beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
Right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who needed emergency surgery after being struck on the head by a line drive last season, suffered a seizure last week.
The Diamondbacks pitcher said Saturday he’s fine now and is hopeful it won’t push back his recovery from shoulder inflammation.
McCarthy was at a restaurant in north Phoenix with his wife, Amanda, on Monday night when the incident occurred.
After he slumped over in a booth, Amanda climbed across, pushed the table away and called for help.
McCarthy was rushed to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona where he was given a CT scan and immediately put on anti-seizure medication. The CT scan, thankfully, showed no new head trauma.
“I remember someone restraining me and telling me I had a seizure,” McCarthy told Piecoro later. “I don’t really remember much past that until I was at the hospital.” It was the first seizure he’s ever had.
McCarthy is on the disabled list currently because of right shoulder inflammation. The 29-year-old starting pitcher had a 5.00 ERA, 1.43 WHIP and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)