Jun 9, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval left last night’s game in the third inning after coming up limping running through first base on a ground ball double play. The foot has been bothering him for more than a week and he is now in a walking boot. The Giants say he is day-to-day, but CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly suggests a stint on the disabled list is likely for Sandoval, who currently leads all NL third basemen in All-Star votes.
“To be honest, we need to get this to calm down,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said following a 6-2 victory at Arizona on Sunday. “You get an injury like this and try to get through it, you can end up losing him for a longer period of time.”
Sandoval also appeared resigned to his third consecutive season interrupted by the DL, saying he didn’t know what was next but trying to give it a couple days might not be the answer.
Some time off could be good for Sandoval, he he had a meager .464 OPS in his previous 11 games spanning 44 trips to the plate.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)