Jun 9, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval left last night’s game in the third inning after coming up limping running through first base on a ground ball double play. The foot has been bothering him for more than a week and he is now in a walking boot. The Giants say he is day-to-day, but CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly suggests a stint on the disabled list is likely for Sandoval, who currently leads all NL third basemen in All-Star votes.
“To be honest, we need to get this to calm down,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said following a 6-2 victory at Arizona on Sunday. “You get an injury like this and try to get through it, you can end up losing him for a longer period of time.”
Sandoval also appeared resigned to his third consecutive season interrupted by the DL, saying he didn’t know what was next but trying to give it a couple days might not be the answer.
Some time off could be good for Sandoval, he he had a meager .464 OPS in his previous 11 games spanning 44 trips to the plate.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)