Jun 9, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval left last night’s game in the third inning after coming up limping running through first base on a ground ball double play. The foot has been bothering him for more than a week and he is now in a walking boot. The Giants say he is day-to-day, but CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly suggests a stint on the disabled list is likely for Sandoval, who currently leads all NL third basemen in All-Star votes.
“To be honest, we need to get this to calm down,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said following a 6-2 victory at Arizona on Sunday. “You get an injury like this and try to get through it, you can end up losing him for a longer period of time.”
Sandoval also appeared resigned to his third consecutive season interrupted by the DL, saying he didn’t know what was next but trying to give it a couple days might not be the answer.
Some time off could be good for Sandoval, he he had a meager .464 OPS in his previous 11 games spanning 44 trips to the plate.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)