Jun 9, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval left last night’s game in the third inning after coming up limping running through first base on a ground ball double play. The foot has been bothering him for more than a week and he is now in a walking boot. The Giants say he is day-to-day, but CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly suggests a stint on the disabled list is likely for Sandoval, who currently leads all NL third basemen in All-Star votes.
“To be honest, we need to get this to calm down,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said following a 6-2 victory at Arizona on Sunday. “You get an injury like this and try to get through it, you can end up losing him for a longer period of time.”
Sandoval also appeared resigned to his third consecutive season interrupted by the DL, saying he didn’t know what was next but trying to give it a couple days might not be the answer.
Some time off could be good for Sandoval, he he had a meager .464 OPS in his previous 11 games spanning 44 trips to the plate.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)