Jun 9, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun left in the third inning of this afternoon’s series finale against the Phillies due to a nagging thumb injury. He struck out in the first inning and was subsequently replaced by Logan Schafer in left field in the third. Braun hasn’t homered since May 22 against the Dodgers. To boot, he has just three doubles is hitting .254 since his last homer.
The thumb issue, which has been bothering Braun for the better part of two weeks, has manager Ron Roenicke worried.
“We’ve got to figure out what to do there,” Roencike said. “We’ve got to start going in the right direction with him, and sometimes it’s not. … I’m hoping we don’t have to [place him on the disabled list], but we start making gains and he says, ‘Yeah, I feel really good today,’ and then all of a sudden it’s a bad day and a setback.
“We keep going this back and forth. He’s out there playing, hitting third for us, and I expect the Braun that I’ve seen for the last two years, and he’s not the same. He’s still getting hits, he’s still helping us win games, but he’s not that guy that can carry a team like I know he can.”
Roenicke said he had a plan for Braun on the upcoming, three-city road trip, which includes a pair of off-days between stops.
Aside from the recent power outage, Braun is otherwise having a great season, hitting .304 with an OPS just south of .900, which is about 40 percent better than the league average.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 99
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 73
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (100)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)