Jun 9, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun left in the third inning of this afternoon’s series finale against the Phillies due to a nagging thumb injury. He struck out in the first inning and was subsequently replaced by Logan Schafer in left field in the third. Braun hasn’t homered since May 22 against the Dodgers. To boot, he has just three doubles is hitting .254 since his last homer.
The thumb issue, which has been bothering Braun for the better part of two weeks, has manager Ron Roenicke worried.
“We’ve got to figure out what to do there,” Roencike said. “We’ve got to start going in the right direction with him, and sometimes it’s not. … I’m hoping we don’t have to [place him on the disabled list], but we start making gains and he says, ‘Yeah, I feel really good today,’ and then all of a sudden it’s a bad day and a setback.
“We keep going this back and forth. He’s out there playing, hitting third for us, and I expect the Braun that I’ve seen for the last two years, and he’s not the same. He’s still getting hits, he’s still helping us win games, but he’s not that guy that can carry a team like I know he can.”
Roenicke said he had a plan for Braun on the upcoming, three-city road trip, which includes a pair of off-days between stops.
Aside from the recent power outage, Braun is otherwise having a great season, hitting .304 with an OPS just south of .900, which is about 40 percent better than the league average.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 14
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 36
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)