Motivated by failure against Marlins, Mets make sweeping changes

Jun 9, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v New York Mets Getty Images

The Mets were swept by the Marlins for the second consecutive weekend, and endured consecutive extra-inning losses as they fell 8-4 in ten innings this afternoon after losing 2-1 in 20 innings yeterday. Manager Terry Collins watched as his bullpen surrendered a 4-3 lead and put the game out of reach after imploding in the tenth. His team made a comedy of errors, both scoring-wise and otherwise, prompting this response to the media after the game:

GM Sandy Alderson didn’t waste time acting, choosing to demote Ike Davis, Robert Carson, and Mike Baxter to Triple-A Las Vegas, reports ESPN’s Adam Rubin. Rubin says the players coming from Triple-A to the big leagues will be known later, as Las Vegas is currently in a game.

Update (7:50 PM): Rubin on Twitter:

Davis, who went 0-for-3 this afternoon, is now hitting .161. Carson, charged with one run in his one inning of work today, has an 8.50 ERA. And Baxter, who went 0-for-4 today, is hitting .212.

The Mets have lost five consecutive games to the lowly Marlins. The Marlins, now 18-44, are 8-3 against the Mets (.727) and 10-41 (.196) against everyone else.

1. mtr75 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’m done watching this team. What an embarrassment.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I stopped watching a month ago. I highly recommend MLB.TV or Extra Innings. I like watching real baseball, played by such teams as the Cardinals, Rangers, Tigers and Reds…just to name a few.

• thevauntedchris - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

but….but they swept the replacement Yankees?

• mtr75 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM

You know what’s funny? As much as my beloved NY Mets make me want to vomit right now, I still get a roaring laught out of comments like this from bitter Yankee fans. This just brightened my day.

• thevauntedchris - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:13 AM

While I’m a Yankees fan, I’m definitely not bitter. I have no expectations for this year’s team and I harbor no ill will towards the Mets. I actually hope they it together. But my point still stands towards Mets fans that thought 4 random games in may meant anything.

So try a different angle.

• mtr75 - Jun 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM

It did mean something. It meant we stomped your balls for 2013. Thanks again for the laugh.

• sportsdrenched - Jun 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The 2005 Royals lost 106 games. The lone bright spot from that season. They swept the Yankees in a 3 game series in KC.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I know!! Jesus guys….just accept you got swept and move on. Not a big deal.

• thevauntedchris - Jun 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Who isn’t accepting getting swept? You guys love a straw man argument here.
        The Yankees offense is terrible. Fifth worst in the AL. They are contending because they have given up 3.75 runs per game, the best in the AL. It’s not hard to get swept when you frequently score 1 and 2 runs for every game in the series. I’m surprised they haven’t been swept more

To say “we” stomped “your” balls isn’t accurate.

I don’t play for the yankees. And I’m pretty sure you don’t play for the mets.

• mtr75 - Jun 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

You need to look up what a straw man is. We stomped your balls, four straight. Pull up your skirt and move on with your life.

• thevauntedchris - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

but….but they swept the replacement Yankees

• bigpic325 - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Look as long as we have this ownership we will never be good enough to challenge anyone or make the playoffs

2. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Is Cleon Jones available?

• mets86knicks73 - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I think Bruce Boisclair is available.

• rockingrhino - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Nolan Ryan? Tom Seaver?

• albundy87 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Now here’s a DIE HARD!!!

• protius - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Ben Francisco is available.

• mazblast - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Probably not, but George Theodore cleared waivers a ways back and could be signed cheaply. Greg Goossen, regrettably, is no longer with us, but could be an improvement nevertheless.

• badintent - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

NO, Jones, Swoboda or Agee. Jose Canceco will play for beer.

• senioreditor2 - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM

No but Roger Craig might help.

• senioreditor2 - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I personally believe the Mets could extort a ton of talent from the Dodgers if they’d move Wright. I know it’s not popular in NY but I’d bet the Dodgers would part with 3-5 top prospects for him. That would go a long way to building a solid organization.

• rje49 - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Well, Choo Choo Coleman is. I just checked.
      “Choo Choo, what’s your wife’s name and what’s she like?” Reply- “Mrs. Coleman, and she likes me”

3. sdelmonte - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I would like to say something like “fire TC.” But you could hire Tony LaRussa and he would only add a handful of wins.

This team? Is a mess and then some. And I worry that any changes aside from bringing up Wheeler will just be rearranging the deck chairs on the Andrea Doria. (I am bored with the Titanic.) The rest of the season is going to be rather long.

But I will still be listening. And hoping that one of these days, the bats and bullpen can catch up to the rotation.

• derekjetersmansion - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Sandy Alderson has been so under the radar bad, which is the worst part. How do you pay Frank Francisco anything more than the minimum, as one example?

They have the exact wrong lineup for the park they’re in, as well.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Zack Wheeler for Beltran
        D’Arnaud, Syndergaard, Bacerra for Dickey

“under the radar bad” is ridiculous. He’s made some poor moves, just like they all do. Overall, their farm is much better than it was. Educate yourself first before you spout off about a team you know nothing about.

• sdelmonte - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I’ve soured a lot on Alderson. His failure to find players like Overbay in the offseason frustrate me far more than TC’s overuse of Scott Rice. But it seems clear that Sandy’s reputation is protecting him for now.

• derekjetersmansion - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Wasn’t the point of Alderson to make them .500 (treading) until the kids came up? Somehow, they got worse.

• dondada10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Badguys, who is on the major leaguer roster that SA brought in?

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

No question, Jetersmansion, he has done a LOUSY job with the big club. I just think overall, his plan to build with pitching is coming along. But yes – they need a much better team at the major league level next year.

• uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

The problem is that for three straight years they’ve insisted they’re not “punting” on the season and they half-heartedly attempt to field a competitive team, which comes from ownership.

This year is what the last two years should have looked like, there’s no sense in aiming for .500 and ending up with 75 or 77 wins. It gets you a modest draft pick and not much else.

I don’t think they’re catching Miami or Houston, but with a little work, they can get the third pick in next year’s draft. That’s what they should aim for. And if they have to do it again next year, do it again.

And in 2015 they’ll have a rotation that will feature some combination of Niese, Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Fulmer, and Montero.

• mtr75 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Saying they’ve halfheartedly attempted to field a competitive team is giving them way, way, WAY too much credit. They have made o attempt whatsoever to field a competitive team.

• blockedshotnyr - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Sdelmonte – the Yankees have the most homer and hitter friendly park in the majors – it certainly helps has-beens and also-rans like Wells and Overby become better than they are. Citi wold have the opposite effect. I love the ballpark and it is certainly possible to build winner in it, but guys like Overby and Wells would not be any good there.

The fact is the depth of this team’s young arms is reminiscent of the Braves and Nats a few years ago. Their biggest trouble spots are OF and in the bullpen and those are among the easiest spots to fix. The team is bad but they are a couple of kids and moves – be them trades or signings – from being a lot better than anyone would expect.

If I am Alderson the first thing I do this offseason is call Arizona and ask on Parra and Eaton – they love young arms and have a major OF logjam.

4. thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Collins should be one of the changes too. I know this team won’t win with anyone, but he is totally clueless.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Maybe he should be gone, but I’m not really in favor of making changes just to say that we made changes.

I still don’t quite understand how Ike Davis stayed with the big club so long. I was waiting for him to break out, but it just never happened.

• uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I think Collins is pretty terrible, but unless (or until, given his history) he completely loses the clubhouse, might as well let him finish out the year and let someone else start fresh next year.

5. rbj1 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Mets are determined not to let the Marlins be worse than their 1962 team.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Well, the Feesh do have to play a lot of other teams – and they’re just as determined to be worse.

6. mungman69 - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

The Mets stink, Miami just showed how much.

7. scottgilroy - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That is so Mets!

8. dukepatrol - Jun 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

This team is pathetic embarrassment to it’s fans and to the city it represents. To see such a beautiful ballpark constantly empty because everybody from the top to the bottom has no idea what they are doing just shows how really bad the situation is. Matt Harvey,Wheeler that’s great but if you can’t hit and catch the baseball none of that great pitching matters. The worst week ever of Mets baseball

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You’re so young.

• randygnyc - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I’m sorry to be the one to have to tell you but the Mets don’t represent NY. They rightfully represent flushing. Nothing more.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM

In the late 1980’s the Yankees sure as hell didn’t represent NY.

• Glenn - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM

This year, they represent what’s flushed.

• badintent - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM

What part of Flushing ? the housing projects. ? Chinatown ? The car junk yards ? I ‘ll still take College Point over Flushingit.At least it’s next to MALBA

9. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM

It was a painful game to watch, even when you root (ostensibly) for the winner. Murphy’s error in the eighth cost them the lead – it had double play written all over it (except on the bottom, where it said “boot me”). When Tweeter scored and an inning later they went into extra innings, I suddenly felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if the voices of the dozens of remaining fans cried out in frustration. Sandy Alderson has not been the magical cure for Omar Minaya, that’s for sure. And this team needs Wally Backman. The Terry Collins hire still makes no sense – it makes, I think, even less than it did at the time.

• Glenn - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Watching this Mets team makes one need to drink like Wally Backman.

10. fmlondon - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM

It is amazing how losers can be the bane of winners’ existence. Take the Mets over the Yankees, for instance.

11. gonderfan - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If they could bring back the late, great Jesse Gonder, I would be rooting for them again.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

No, no, no – Elio Chacon!

• gonderfan - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I would be happy to have Elio Chacon (RIP) come back, but Jesse Gonder has been my favorite ballplayer since his earliest days with the Mets. I think they should never have let him go…. I could still see him whacking that ball …

• mazblast - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I was a fan of Greg Goossen and Choo Choo Coleman.

Casey Stengel on Goossen–

“We got a young catcher here, Greg Goossen, twenty years old, and in ten years he’s got a chance to be thirty.”

• gonderfan - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Someone needs to start a ‘catchers of the early Mets’ fan club. I’m sure there are some Chris Cannizzaro, Hobie Landrith and Sammy Taylor fans out there, too.

12. dondada10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Cesar Puello, AA outfielder, has been red-hot this year. I believe his OPS is now over 1.000 for the season. Problem is he’s on the Biogensis list.

Do you bring him up knowing that he’s gonna be part of an investigation?

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Or do you even believe his breakout is legit? That’s the question I have.

• dondada10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

It’s a fair question.

Then again, 2 seasons ago BA had Puello 70th based on his tools.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I hope its legit. But why was he connected to Biogenesis? For protein shakes?

13. idratherbeinsouthbend - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Haven’t confirmed with my sources yet, but sounds like they are bringing up Sid Finch.

Seriously though, I buy the MLB.com package specifically to watch my Mets. And I really wish MLB would give you the option of the annual fee OR pay per win. I woulda chosen pay per win again this year.

14. vallewho - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM

they need to bring in Wally B.

15. jhb64 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Wally Ball

16. richyballgame - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

They’ve got that kid Leathersich striking out the world in Double A.. Why the hell are they not calling him up?

• richyballgame - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM

28 innings pitched,53 K’s, 1.61 ERA.
      I don’t see what the issue is with sending him up to Flushing is.

• mazblast - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Development is the issue. Not that I think the Mets have a clue what it is, but jumping a pitcher from AA rarely works. You’re going to lose this year anyways, take your time, may be move him to AAA at mid-season at most, see if he does well, then let him compete in for a majors job in ST.

17. source7769 - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

when are these mets fans going to realize they were not spending any money till the bad contracts expired that means no 5 million dollar stop gap players or any other payroll additions till the bad contracts were off the books via trade or expiration judge alderson when hes got a payroll to work with which will start next yr

• mtr75 - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM

There will be no spending next year. First of all, the Wiltards owe a $320 million dollar balloon payment on loans they took out against the team next June. Secondly, most of the money that you think is coming off the books next year has already come off the books. The Wright contract reduced what he was owed this year, with deferred money. They also deferred money for Johan and $15 million of what was owed to Jason Bay this year. So a lot of the bad contracts are already off the books and were coming into this year. And that got us Colin what’s his name and Marlon Byrd. People wonder why they didn’t bring Scott Hairston back. They couldn’t afford to, it’s that simple. They couldn’t afford Scott flipping Hairston.

The bottom line is that they owe $320 million on loans against the team in 2014 and $600+ million on loans against SNY in 2015. If you think ownership will be spending money in the coming several years you’re dreaming.

18. Illogicalvoicedronesonandon - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM

They need Chico Esquella

• mazblast - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Bezbol beeeen berry, berry goooood to me, Yo.

19. jaysfan64 - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla to not play…’nuff said…

20. sawxalicious - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I like Ike, but the Mets stuck with him WAY too long this year. Maybe some time in the minors can help him get straightened out. If not, Ike goes on the list of short 1st Base careers with the likes of Bob Hamelin, Kevin Maas, Josh Phelps, etc.

21. cjdef - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Hmm..maybe the Mets could borrow some of the Yanks steriods…that brought the Yankees 100 or so wins a year a few times…

22. rickdobrydney - Jun 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM

If this team was in any other city , they would have been forgotten by now for the entire season—just an afterthought…. But because they play in New York, the media over-coverage of this pathetic laughing stock of a franchise is mind-numbing, to say the least. The team needs a complete re-vamping, and that begins at the top with the clueless Wilpons— they need to get out and the faster the better,

23. William Miller - Jun 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

As someone who’s been a Mets fan since 1975, I have to say that this is perhaps the most depressing time I’ve ever been a fan. Yeah, they’ve had some pretty awful teams in the past, but I don’t remember a time when they’ve been absolutely no fun at all to watch, to follow, or to read about. Given the size of the market they play in, the so-called brilliance of their front office, and the young talent they’ve acquired, it is mind-boggling that things could be this bad right now.

24. proudliberal85392 - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Anybody know the status of The Collins Watch?

Orioles turn AL East on its head