Jun 9, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and SiriusXM’s Inside Pitch tweeted Saturday that the Rays “are getting closer to recalling” top outfield prospect Wil Myers and that it “should happen” within the “next 10 days.”
But nobody else is corroborating Bowden’s report.
In fact, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says the Rays have not taken any steps toward promoting the talented 22-year-old because there is simply no place to put him. Kelly Johnson, Matt Joyce and Ben Zobrist have been doing a good job of handling the corner outfield spots and Luke Scott is the Rays’ full-time designated hitter. Myers needs to play every day, and there’s no way of guaranteeing him that kind of regular action right now at the major league level.
“We have a number of players in Triple-A who are knocking on the door,” Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman said Saturday when asked specifically about a Myers callup. “We don’t look at a calendar to determine when to make a move. We have seen some already this year, and there are others whose time hasn’t come yet. Oftentimes it simply comes down to opportunity, like when an injury creates an opening. Until that opportunity arises, our players get to work on their game so they’re better prepared when the call comes.”
Myers is batting .286/.359/.515 with 12 home runs and 52 RBI in 57 games this season for the Durham Bulls. Tampa Bay will save money in the long run by letting him further marinate in the minors because they can avoid him qualifying for an extra year of arbitration as a Super Two. Though that window does close soon.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)