Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jun 9, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT

jay bruce getty Getty Images

The battle for the National League Central wages on.

Cincinnati fell to St. Louis in the first game of this important weekend series on Friday night at Great American Ball Park but rallied back to even up the three-game set on Saturday, tagging Cardinals rookie left-hander Tyler Lyons for four runs on one walk and six hits en route to a 4-2 victory.

Jay Bruce hit a solo blast to deep right field in the bottom of the second inning — his 10th home run of the year — then Devin Mesoraco added a solo shot to right-center in the bottom of the fifth. The Reds tacked on two more runs in the sixth and Aroldis Chapman earned his 16th save in his ninth (with the help of an iffy final-out call at first base).

The Reds — along with the Pirates — are three games back of the Cardinals in the division standings. The Reds and Cards will wrap up their series this evening on ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball.

Your Saturday box scores and recaps:

Angels 9, Red Sox 5 (Game 1)

Rangers 3, Blue Jays 4 (18 innings)

Marlins 2, Mets 1 (20 innings)

Pirates 6, Cubs 2

Twins 4, Nationals 3 (11 innings)

Indians 4, Tigers 6

Athletics 1, White Sox 4

Yankees 3, Mariners 1

Orioles 0, Rays 8

Astros 2, Royals 7

Phillies 3, Brewers 4

Cardinals 2, Reds 4

Padres 4, Rockies 2

Angels 2, Red Sox 7 (Game 2)

Braves 2, Dodgers 1

Giants 10, Diamondbacks 5

1. nbjays - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I only managed to catch the LAST nine innings of the Jays-Rangers marathon yesterday, so I missed most of the offense. It was nice to see the Beavz finally win the thing because there were a crapload of squandered scoring opportunities in those extra frames. Nice throw by Bautista to nail Berkman in the 10th, and some nice clutch pitching on both sides.

This afternoon it’s JJ against Grimm, and I have a feeling we are going to see a couple of pretty dragged out teams.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Let’s see how well JJ’s repairs take this time. The guy has spent more time in the shop than on the road, you know?

• nbjays - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Yeah, I hear that, Gator. Some of these pitchers are like the fighter jets I spent 20 or so years working on… great performance when they are serviceable, but they require 10 or more hours of maintenance for every hour in the air… and more as they get older.

• cur68 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Ou Lads showed what they were made of yesterday. They took on Yu Darvish, Mr. .gif himself. They actually knocked him out of the game, too. They did it behind Mark Buehrle who was, once again, AMAZINGLY good. Whole team has in fact, since May, been turning it around. So Sluggish in April gave way to Adequate in May. Lets see if Above Average is the New Black for June, eh?

As of yesterday, Adam Lind is hitting >.340, E5 has been striking the Fear of Dog into the hearts of pitchers, and its been a series of Colby Rasmus, RISP hits, one after another. The role player guys have been good when they needed to be and it seems like all the pitchers have decided to actually pitch up to reputation. In fact, the Beaver Bullpen has been where hitters go to starve to death.

If only the Little League Defence could stop losing games! Now, what follows might not be COMPLETELY accurate, since I was dozing off a bit by then, but, in the 10th, it was nearly over on a crucial Mark DeRosa error. He’s been The Man with the clutch hitting but clearly yesterday, after sitting most of the game, he was a touch ham fisted there at 3B in the 10th. With two of the slowest guys on The Rangers running, a ball was hit right at him. A tailor made DP. He gathered it, dropped, it, dropped it AGAIN, then chased it a bit, THEN got hold of it. By that time, all hands (Phat Elvis & AJ Piershbfsfewiugtski) were safe. Early on this season, that’s would have been pretty much the story. The crucial Easy Out Error, and the game is lost.

But not this time. Not quite, THAT easy, Texas.

Y’see There’s more to this little piece of a game. The pitcher at the time was none other than the oft injured Dustin McGowan. Mr. Shoulder Surgery himself. Throws 98mph, but his shoulder is made of scar tissue and sutures. Kid showed some guts. He did not fold it up and throw it away. He’d let Phat Elvis on with a walk. Then stuck a ball in AJ Pierziadjghafhgaski’s ribs (and who WOULDN’T do that, eh?). And Then The DeRosa Error Happened. THEN McGowan walked guy to load them up. Bases loaded. Baker, who’d homered earlier in this Marathon, was up. Kid could have lost it right there. But, nope. He ended his night by striking out Baker with a 98mph Heater. He took a seat after that, and hat tip to him, too. Nice work, kid.

The final out came on a fly ball to to Right Field where one of the best arms in all MLB’s outfield plays. Keeping in mind the dude on 3rd was Phat Elvis, who runs about as fast as my Grammy, it still had to be a GREAT throw. A little known fact (he says in his Cliff C. Clavin Jr Voice) is that Jose Bautista is a former minor league pitcher with +90 velocity. The throw was a touch up the line, toward 3rd, but lucky beans! It was Phat Elvis, hoofing it as fast as his could from 3rd. Unfortunately for Texans everywhere, Ole Phat Elvis aint got that Puma Speed no mo (if he ever did). He was out by a mile.

And then there, late in the afternoon, as I was REALLY struggling to stay awake (turkey salad lunch: better than valium for doping you to sleep on a lazy saturday afternoon) Rajai Davis made Magic Happen.

Nice one, boys.

Good luck today. Gonna be tired after all that, yesterday. Try and stay awake for this one, eh? Especially when fielding. Just don’t eat Turkey Salad for lunch.

• missthemexpos - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Well I must say C68 that your summary of yesterdays Jays/Rangers was excellent. It was odd jobs Saturday for me as I caught up on a bunch of outdoor chores that had been put off for way too long and I would take breaks and watch a little baseball. Talk about a game that had a little bit of everything. To me the big question is has Adam Lind reached a new level of hitting excellence or is this merely another case of a player having a great year that just happens to be his walk year?

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

nb: two comments.

Comment 1: If you only spent 20 years fixing those things, I guess you weren’t working on the Canadian version of the F-100 SuperSabre whose production delays and the usual dollops of political corruption, backbiting and appalling shortsightedness led to the economically catastrophic decision to scrap the Avro C-102 Jetliner project. How many years did it take the Canadian aerospace industry to use the Bombardier commuter jets to claw its way back into a commercial aviation market it could have led by the nuts for decades? That beautiful airplane could have been the wave of the future….wave of the future…wave of the future….

Comment 2: many of the parts you were screwing, bolting, gluing and welding back into place on those racehorse ankles in the sky may well have been sold to the RCAF by DeHavilland’s sales manager, one John Timmins, father of Margo, Mike and Pete Timmins AKA Cowboy Junkies.

• cur68 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Did I just see an AVRO shout out, there? I did, didn’t I. Man, Gator, you wanna get a Canadian wound up, mention THAT aircraft or, worse yet, the Arrow (CF-105). An entire barroom of people of varying politics and disposition will unite for the first time in their lives with a unanimous spit and growl “Effin Diefenbaker!” then slug back some Crown Royal and start waxing nostalgic.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Cur: in that case, since my hard drive is out for repairs – kinda like JJ’s shoulder usually is – so email me and I will send you back something that will make your heart pound: a photo of the 1/144 resin scale model of the C-102 I built a few years ago, museum quality. There’s a terrific coffee-table book about the entire Jetliner project, including the abortive Howard Hughes connection, out there someplace, though the price is now a bit rich for most people’s blood: http://www.amazon.com/Avro-Canada-C102-Jetliner/dp/091978366X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370795644&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Avro+C-102+Jetliner

Needless to say, I treasure my copy, which I found in a book bin outside a used bookstore on College Street in Toronto ten years or so ago for about C$5.00. I used it extensively to generate the decals and check the paint scheme for my model.

Too bad about the Arrow, eh? Now you know how Americans feel about the Osprey.

• cur68 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Gator: incoming!

• nbjays - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Gator, I never worked on the SuperSabre (or anything outdated, for that matter). I spent my first 6 years repairing avionics systems on the Lockheed CP-140 Aurora (the Canuck version of your P-3 Orion), and in 1988, I was transferred overseas to the CF-18 program, which I stayed with until my retirement in 2010 (although not all of it overseas, just 4 years or so).

Cur, don’t get me started on the Avro Arrow (effin Diefenbaker!). Even though the program was cancelled 3 years before I was born (and 22 years before I put on the uniform), I still share the Airforce’s institutional feeling of outrage and regret at what might have been, as well as the knowledge that the US aerospace industry was essentially built on the brains of some pretty bright former-A.V. Roe engineers.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Jays lost today, 11 games back, 8 games under .500. This is clearly a lost season for them, they are going NOWHERE and i fully expect another losing month when its done and over with. This team is a total joke

2. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Shawn Marcum gamely claims he didn’t run out of gas yesterday, but the little yellow light in the lower corner of the gauge was on by the time Adeiny Hechavarria and his sub-Mendoza average arrived at the plate and stroked the hit heard ’round the infield. It may just be that playing before a few hundred Mutts fans made Citi Field feel just like home, where the Feesh also occasionally find themselves playing before nothing but a few hundred Mutts fans. Whatever it was, the Lobefins somehow prevailed in an unendurable cavalcade of ineptitude between two terrible teams. Today, we have to pray for a rainout in the bottom of the sixth.

3. unclemosesgreen - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM

More Tigers awesomeness encapsulated by Fake Historio: Here we go kids!

The Rejuvenation of the Talented Mr. Porcello continued, he’s racked up 6 quality starts in his last 8, and his hideous April is beginning to look further and further away in the rear-view. Phil Coke managed to get 4 outs without putting anyone on base, and Spuds McWiggles? The potato shooter is fine thank you very much, with two strikeouts to end the game and start the Wiggle.

Every Tigger bounced on base at least once, and only Victor and Avisail didn’t get on base twice. Poor Carlos Carrasco was wild in and out of the zone. Strikes were hammered, balls were laid off of, and he is defintely not in Columbus anymore. He didn’t even have Kevin Youkilis around to take it out on this time.

It’s day six of the When Will Miggy Go Boom Watch, is it too early to start worrying that Crush Davis stole Miggy’s mojo when he swung through town? Will Historio end her hiatus and let me stop following this team full of DH’s? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

And oh yeah – Alexander Hamilton is still a big weenie. Fake Historio Out.

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

You shouldn’t bother. You’re just gonna pick up the hate by proxy. But, thanks.

Also, what — no mention of Francona’s tossing and the absence of Swisher Dimples TM?

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Dammit. Edit function!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I absorb all that hate and turn it into Haterade, shake it with Bushmills and ice and drink deeply. That cocktail fuels the fire I breathe.

I figured you for back tomorrow a.m. anywho – after all, CC will be back.

4. uyf1950 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Andy Pettitte obviously put his previous outing (a poor one I might add) out of his mind. He pitched great in getting his 250th career win.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Well you know uyf – once you’ve made 500 starts in the bigs, that 501st start just doesn’t get in your head.

5. indaburg - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Finally, third place all to ourselves for the Rays. We clawed and scratched our way out like ladies at a Victoria Secret’s yoga pants sale. Do I dare say it? I see a ray of sunshine. Hellickson has pitched his second Hellicksonesque outing in a row. Rodney has not allowed a run in his last 7 outings. The rest of our bullpen has settled down and moseyed on down towards statistical normality with tne rest of the league. Moore had a rough start last time, but it’s no shame to pitch poorly againt his Triple Crowness, the Prince, Mini-Miggy and so forth. Cobb has been even better than Moore in my opinion. He may not have the wins or the fame, but check his numbers. Our fresh from the farm Archer pitched a gem on Friday and is the real deal. A healthy Price back in this rotation and there will be one ecstatically happy Rays fan in the Tampa Bay area. Word is there is only one of us anyway. That would be me. Captain Obvious.

After a demoralizing April and May, we’re finally in 3rd place. Our hitters are still hitting. While Longoria has cooled a bit, Escobar and Joyce among others, have picked up. Let Myers simmer a little longer as a Durham Bull. He needs to win himself a free steak.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM

One would indeed think that the Victoria’s Secret groupie ladies would be more adept at clawing and scratching than the Tupperware Party girls. But that hasn’t been my experience.

• indaburg - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I would never fight over a pair of yoga pants on sale–online shopping is my style–but in their defense, they are really nice yoga pants.

6. APBA Guy - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

No miracles for the A;s yesterday as they got a good dose of what it feels like to bat against a pitcher throwing in the style to which they’ve become accustomed, namely one Danks, John Danks, purveyor of all things slow. Danks had the A’s off balance after the first inning, throwing a bunch of mush with more movement than Inda’s horde of ladies fighting over VS yoga pants on sale. Ray and Glen mentioned before the game that Danks was at the point after his injury recovery where the White Sox could start to expect some good outings, and further that the near cellar experience of the Sox would be far different with better health from their starting pitchers.

7. coachbeck - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

All the cardinals do is complain. Any call that goes against them is an “iffy” call.

Mat “no decision” Latos is on pace for 16-0 with 18 ND

Dude doesn’t lose

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

You may have identified a new species of pitcher. We are all familiar with the pitcher who just knows how to win. But a pitcher who doesn’t know how to lose? This is not to be found anywhere in my notebooks, and whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

• paperlions - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, no other teams every complain about calls, that’s why the Cardinals not only lead the league in ejections, they are actually the only team to have a player or coach ejected all year for complaining about a call.

…and if you are referring to the call that ended the game, it wasn’t iffy, it was incorrect….but it was tough call, especially with the angle the 1B ump had, and those things happen….so whatever.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3863)