Jun 10, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
People have been trying to figure out to do with the site of Old Tiger Stadium for a long time now. Here’s a novel idea: play baseball there. Morosi reports:
Darrell Miller, the MLB vice president of youth and facility development, told FOX Sports on Friday that the commissioner’s office is evaluating three sites in Detroit for the construction of a new MLB Urban Youth Academy.
The corner of Michigan and Trumbull — where Tiger Stadium stood for nearly a century — is one of them.
While other plans to use the site have been floated in the past, this one actually seems appropriate. Using baseball’s past to help pave the way for baseball’s future.
Obviously such romantic notions don’t h0ld ultimate sway over plans which have so much to do with real estate and politics and whatnot, but I certainly think it would be nicer to drive by that old site and see something baseball-related happening there than almost any other use which has been suggested over the past decade and a half.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)