Jun 10, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
People have been trying to figure out to do with the site of Old Tiger Stadium for a long time now. Here’s a novel idea: play baseball there. Morosi reports:
Darrell Miller, the MLB vice president of youth and facility development, told FOX Sports on Friday that the commissioner’s office is evaluating three sites in Detroit for the construction of a new MLB Urban Youth Academy.
The corner of Michigan and Trumbull — where Tiger Stadium stood for nearly a century — is one of them.
While other plans to use the site have been floated in the past, this one actually seems appropriate. Using baseball’s past to help pave the way for baseball’s future.
Obviously such romantic notions don’t h0ld ultimate sway over plans which have so much to do with real estate and politics and whatnot, but I certainly think it would be nicer to drive by that old site and see something baseball-related happening there than almost any other use which has been suggested over the past decade and a half.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)