Jun 10, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
People have been trying to figure out to do with the site of Old Tiger Stadium for a long time now. Here’s a novel idea: play baseball there. Morosi reports:
Darrell Miller, the MLB vice president of youth and facility development, told FOX Sports on Friday that the commissioner’s office is evaluating three sites in Detroit for the construction of a new MLB Urban Youth Academy.
The corner of Michigan and Trumbull — where Tiger Stadium stood for nearly a century — is one of them.
While other plans to use the site have been floated in the past, this one actually seems appropriate. Using baseball’s past to help pave the way for baseball’s future.
Obviously such romantic notions don’t h0ld ultimate sway over plans which have so much to do with real estate and politics and whatnot, but I certainly think it would be nicer to drive by that old site and see something baseball-related happening there than almost any other use which has been suggested over the past decade and a half.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)