Jun 10, 2013, 9:44 PM EST
Joyce, who homered off Lackey in the first inning, immediately suspected intent and began gesturing toward the mound. As Evan Drellich of MassLive.com notes, the errant pitch may not have been in retaliation to the home run, but instead to Joyce “styling” on a foul ball in the second inning. But that’s just speculation for now.
Joyce was restrained by catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia as both benches emptied. No punches were thrown and order was quickly restored, but warnings were issued to both sides.
Lackey was pulled from the game after giving up a double to the next batter Ben Zobrist, but left-hander Craig Breslow was able to snuff out the rally. The Red Sox hold a 6-4 lead going into the bottom of the seventh inning.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27