Jun 10, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
McDonald has been on the disabled list since mid-May with lower back discomfort, but he will join Cleveland’s active roster. The 38-year-old was acquired from the Diamondbacks during spring training and hit .065 (2-for-31) in 16 games with Pittsburgh.
McDonald is a .237/.275/.328 hitter over 15 seasons in the majors. He’ll provide some depth around the infield with Asdrubal Cabrera sidelined due to a quad injury.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)