Jun 10, 2013, 9:31 PM EDT
After leaving yesterday’s game against the Rockies with a right groin strain, Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Gyorko is the second member of the Padres’ infield to hit the disabled list in the past week, joining first baseman Yonder Alonso. The 24-year-old rookie is batting .284/.341/.461 through 60 games this season. After getting off to a bit of a slow start against major league pitching, he’s hitting .309 with all eight of his home runs since the start of May.
Padres manager Bud Black told Marty Caswell of The Mighty 1090 in San Diego that the club is hopeful that Gyorko will be ready to return when he’s eligible, though it’s too soon to say for sure. Logan Forsythe was activated from the 60-day disabled list to replace Gyorko on the active roster and figures to share playing time at second base with Alexi Amarista.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)