Marlins activate Giancarlo Stanton from the disabled list

Jun 10, 2013, 1:50 PM EST

Giancarlo Stanton AP

After missing the past six weeks with a strained hamstring Giancarlo Stanton is off the disabled list and will be in the Marlins’ lineup tonight against the Brewers. To make room on the roster Miami placed Casey Kotchman on the DL with a strained oblique, shutting him down just one week after returning from the 60-day DL with a hamstring injury of his own.

Miami’s offense is averaging an MLB-worst 3.0 runs per game–no other team is scoring fewer than 3.5 runs per game–and the Marlins’ non-Stanton hitters have combined for just 28 homers in 2,225 plate appearances this season.

Marcell Ozuna did such a good job filling in for Stanton in right field that the Marlins have decided to shift the 22-year-old rookie to center field. Ozuna has hit .331 with an .843 OPS in 36 games, which is remarkable considering he nearly jumped from Single-A to the majors, playing a grand total of just 10 games at Double-A.

1. darthicarus - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Strikeout, IBB, Pop Out, * injures ankle running out of dugout & placed on DL.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Someone welded the Iron Giant back together!!

3. cur68 - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Welcome back, Giancarlo. Now, since you’re on my Fantasy Team and I play some cutthroat bastards (I mean that with love) I’d like you to repay me the 15 homers you owe me tonight, please. Thank you.

4. specialkindofstupid - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Stanton was on the DL? I just figured he saw Loria steal a little old lady’s purse and was put into witness protection.

5. Old Gator - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It’s going to be fascinating to watch opposing runners trying to take an extra base with Ozuna and the Iron Giant out there with their howitzer arms. I suspect it will take the Giant a few weeks to get back into the rhythm of things – he was just starting to hit his stride when he yanked that hammy. And maybe, just maybe, Ozuna will finally find his power stroke with the Iron Giant batting behind or ahead of him. Interest in the batting order at last.

6. jdl1325 - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Looks like it’ll be Stanton 3rd and Ozuna 4th.

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I don’t grok that. Ozuna’s got the better OBP and Stanton’s got the power stroke. I do see the logic of using Ozuna to “protect” Stanton but….whereas I don’t doubt that Ozuna has a lot more power than he’s showing – perhaps attributable to a conscious decision to get familiar with ML pitching and learn control his strike zone before he starts swinging from his heels, which if true is the mark of one smart young ballplayer – I don’t think it’s a great idea to put the pressure of batting cleanup on him quite yet. I’d rather see it the other way around until the youngster has begun reaching the fence a little more regularly. And he’ll do that with Stanton behind him rather than in front.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4823)
  2. M. Kemp (3432)
  3. J. Upton (2499)
  4. J. Kang (2457)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2445)
  1. C. McGehee (2428)