Jun 10, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Well, no one can say the Mets didn’t give Ike Davis an opportunity to turn things around.
After sticking with Davis for 55 games of a brutal .161 batting average and .500 OPS the Mets demoted the 26-year-old first baseman back to Triple-A, where he last played in 2010.
Here’s what general manager Sandy Alderson said about the demotion, via Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger:
I think with something like this you just have to say to yourself, this is not in his best interest. And I’ve been one of his biggest supporters. I just felt that at some point we’ve got to get him out of here. Hopefully he’ll be back in a short period of time. But he needs to go there. He needs to be able to play every day. He needs to be able to work on his swing without worrying, necessarily, about the outcome. We felt this is in his best interests.
That sounds about right. Last season Davis got off to a similarly brutal start before eventually turning things around with a big second half, but counting on that happening again would be wishful thinking. No player in baseball has more plate appearances and lower OPS than Davis this season and if he’s going to tinker with his mechanics it’s obviously better to do that in games that ultimately don’t matter a ton. And in the meantime the Mets are better off, as they might actually get some production at first base.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 33
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 15
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (207)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)