Jun 10, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted that Will Middlebrooks might stay in the minors for a while even after he was activated from the disabled list, but after posting a 1.094 OPS in five rehab games at Triple-A he’s off the DL and back in Boston’s lineup tonight.
To make room for Middlebrooks on the roster the Red Sox designated Pedro Ciriaco for assignment, cutting him loose after the 27-year-old utility man hit .281 with a .695 OPS in 104 games since the beginning of last season.
Middlebrooks’ return also pushes hot-hitting Jose Iglesias and his .446 batting average to the bench. Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before injuring his lower back.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)