Jun 10, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Last week Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted that Will Middlebrooks might stay in the minors for a while even after he was activated from the disabled list, but after posting a 1.094 OPS in five rehab games at Triple-A he’s off the DL and back in Boston’s lineup tonight.
To make room for Middlebrooks on the roster the Red Sox designated Pedro Ciriaco for assignment, cutting him loose after the 27-year-old utility man hit .281 with a .695 OPS in 104 games since the beginning of last season.
Middlebrooks’ return also pushes hot-hitting Jose Iglesias and his .446 batting average to the bench. Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before injuring his lower back.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)