Jun 10, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted that Will Middlebrooks might stay in the minors for a while even after he was activated from the disabled list, but after posting a 1.094 OPS in five rehab games at Triple-A he’s off the DL and back in Boston’s lineup tonight.
To make room for Middlebrooks on the roster the Red Sox designated Pedro Ciriaco for assignment, cutting him loose after the 27-year-old utility man hit .281 with a .695 OPS in 104 games since the beginning of last season.
Middlebrooks’ return also pushes hot-hitting Jose Iglesias and his .446 batting average to the bench. Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before injuring his lower back.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)