Jun 10, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted that Will Middlebrooks might stay in the minors for a while even after he was activated from the disabled list, but after posting a 1.094 OPS in five rehab games at Triple-A he’s off the DL and back in Boston’s lineup tonight.
To make room for Middlebrooks on the roster the Red Sox designated Pedro Ciriaco for assignment, cutting him loose after the 27-year-old utility man hit .281 with a .695 OPS in 104 games since the beginning of last season.
Middlebrooks’ return also pushes hot-hitting Jose Iglesias and his .446 batting average to the bench. Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before injuring his lower back.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)