Jun 10, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted that Will Middlebrooks might stay in the minors for a while even after he was activated from the disabled list, but after posting a 1.094 OPS in five rehab games at Triple-A he’s off the DL and back in Boston’s lineup tonight.
To make room for Middlebrooks on the roster the Red Sox designated Pedro Ciriaco for assignment, cutting him loose after the 27-year-old utility man hit .281 with a .695 OPS in 104 games since the beginning of last season.
Middlebrooks’ return also pushes hot-hitting Jose Iglesias and his .446 batting average to the bench. Middlebrooks hit just .201 with a .642 OPS in 46 games before injuring his lower back.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 8
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 11
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)