Rockies release Jon Garland

Jun 10, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

After being released by the Mariners in spring training Jon Garland signed with the Rockies and won a rotation spot, but 12 mostly bad starts later Colorado has cut the 33-year-old right-hander loose.

Garland had a 5.82 ERA in 68 innings for the Rockies, posting a terrible 32/23 K/BB ratio while serving up nine homers and allowing opponents to hit .315. And he can’t blame it all on Coors Field, as Garland had a 5.73 ERA in six road starts.

Roy Oswalt looks just about ready to join the Rockies after one or two more starts in the minors, which likely helped convince the Rockies to part ways with Garland.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Well, if it’s the end of the line, at least Garland had a nice little run. A World Series ring. Made the All-Star team once. He even had a $29 million contract back in the day.

And now he can return to his true calling: Find the lower case “h”.

2. personalspaceinvader - Jun 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Certainly being a pitcher released by the Rockies is not a good sign. But having watched all of his starts this year in Colorado, I believe that Garland is still capable of pitching in the big leagues. I hope a team like the Astros gives him another shot.

3. beefytrout - Jun 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I’d probably put a lot of money on Oswalt matching those stats.

4. maximusprime107 - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I always loved the Rockies commentators defending this guy by saying “oh he’s won 100 plus games in the big leagues” big freaking deal, most of those seasons he was at .500 or even below it

• 1remains - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM

So naive you are. I’d rather take him who showed that even though he was out for nearly two years, he still can pitch and is durable.

I’d rather put my money on him than let’s say I don’t know…Josh Johnson & Brandon Morrow. Sure, they strike out a lot of people, wonderful…but how many starts can you can count on both making in a season? Not many, Johnson has only made more than 30 starts two times in 8 seasons (9 excluding his first year when he was a rookie and only made 1 start). That is horrible.

Morrow in 7 years, only 1 + 30 start season (5 excluding his first 2 in which he was a reliever/closer. Also, never had an ERA of under 3.00 in a FULL season, sure…last year he has a 2.97 but in 21 starts only, not measurable.

Both are bad, sure they get k’s and their “potential” is stupendous but if in 7 to 9 years you haven’t been able to maintain a healthy and stabilized season, you’re never going to and especially them that are already 28 and 29 years old respectively.

Give me Garland and at least he will give me 10 + wins and 30 + starts. Johnson nor Morrow can give me that.

5. psuorioles - Jun 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Orioles sign Jon Garland to a minor league contract… expect to see it soon. Buck and DD will pretty much give anyone that has pitched a shot…

• 1remains - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Arrieta – bust
      Britton – bust
      Hunter – gopherball, now a reliever
      Matusz – bust, now a reliever
      Johnson – hit hard
      Jurrjens – minor leagues (I don’t know why)
      Gausman – in 3 of 4 starts he has been pounded
      Freddy – still gets it done despite an under 90 MPH fastball

You’re meaning to tell me Garland can’t pitch better than any of these????

Garland was on pace for 30 + starts, 10 to 12 wins. Who made more than 30 starts and 10 + wins for the O’s last year, that’s right, only CHEN!!!

You need stability in the back end of the rotation and you have seen as well as I have, the O’s bullpen can’t get taxed so many times early in the season because they will falter and tire at the end, look at Strop and Jim this year alone, high ERA’s!

Garland can give them support to a rotation that needs help.

• psuorioles - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I didn’t say it would be a bad thing… I agree the O’s need some stability in the rotation, but they are slowly starting to get it with Chen, Tillman and now Gonzo…

6. jkaflagg - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Angels should pounce on him….then they could move CJ Wilson to the bullpen with Garrett Richards & Jerome Williams, and attack teams with Joe Blanton, Tommy Hansen & Garland as starters…..this will guarantee that the bullpen will get plenty of work, albeit in blowouts…..

7. cackalackyank - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM

He will be on another MLB rotation within a week.

8. turdfurgerson68 - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Yankees will be calling…Cashman returns to the scrap heap.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2482)