Jun 10, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
After being released by the Mariners in spring training Jon Garland signed with the Rockies and won a rotation spot, but 12 mostly bad starts later Colorado has cut the 33-year-old right-hander loose.
Garland had a 5.82 ERA in 68 innings for the Rockies, posting a terrible 32/23 K/BB ratio while serving up nine homers and allowing opponents to hit .315. And he can’t blame it all on Coors Field, as Garland had a 5.73 ERA in six road starts.
Roy Oswalt looks just about ready to join the Rockies after one or two more starts in the minors, which likely helped convince the Rockies to part ways with Garland.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)