Jun 10, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Angels reliever Sean Burnett has been limited to just 13 appearances this season due to forearm and elbow injuries. And he’s still looking for answers.
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Burnett paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews today for the second time in the past five weeks. Angels manager Mike Scioscia said the purpose of the visit was just to “make sure he’s moving in the right direction,” but the left-hander hasn’t progressed beyond throwing on flat ground.
Burnett, who had two bone spurs removed from his elbow during the offseason, landed on the disabled list at the end of April with forearm inflammation. He returned a month later, but appeared in just two games before hitting the disabled list again, this time with a left elbow impingement.
Coming off a 2.38 ERA in 70 appearances last season with the Nationals, the Angels signed Burnett to a two-year, $8 million contract in December. They’re hoping to get more out of their investment soon. Angels’ relievers are 13th in the majors this season with a 4.25 ERA.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 9
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 118
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)