Jun 10, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Angels reliever Sean Burnett has been limited to just 13 appearances this season due to forearm and elbow injuries. And he’s still looking for answers.
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Burnett paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews today for the second time in the past five weeks. Angels manager Mike Scioscia said the purpose of the visit was just to “make sure he’s moving in the right direction,” but the left-hander hasn’t progressed beyond throwing on flat ground.
Burnett, who had two bone spurs removed from his elbow during the offseason, landed on the disabled list at the end of April with forearm inflammation. He returned a month later, but appeared in just two games before hitting the disabled list again, this time with a left elbow impingement.
Coming off a 2.38 ERA in 70 appearances last season with the Nationals, the Angels signed Burnett to a two-year, $8 million contract in December. They’re hoping to get more out of their investment soon. Angels’ relievers are 13th in the majors this season with a 4.25 ERA.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)